DO you get a hard time from others (who?) for being a SAHM???

Does anyone make you feel guilty? or not good enough? not helping with $$, etc.?? I know its hard and its great for the kids and all that... seems like working Moms don't understand.....

Tiffany8168

Asked by Tiffany8168 at 11:50 AM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Anonymous at 11:55. If you weren't working hard and feeling fulfilled, then think about this...perhaps you did not take homemaking seriously. If you do it right, it IS work...hard work. If you do it right, it is FULFILLING work. Raising children to be wonderful, responsible adults, giving them direction, values and love that only a mother can give. I have sacrificed to stay at home. My husband and I have priorities that do not put material posessions above the needs of our children. I don't pretend to know your situation but maybe that's something for you to think about before you go saying mean things to others.
    Anonymous

• I hate when working moms assume that we are loaded and that is why I am able to stay home. They don't realize that we make a lot of sacrifices so that I can stay home. We don't live the same life we did when we both were working.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 11:52 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Seems like working moms don't understand? Bull crap! This is a mom who has done both. I have stayed at home, like you. But some moms are not fortunate enough to have someone supporting their butts while they stay home. Let me tell you something, like I said I have been in both situations. Working moms do all that you do, plus work full time. Yes, it can be done. Don't sit there and tell me how tiring of a job staying home is. Because from experience, I can tell you the working moms have it alot worse. But they do not complain... doing everything makes them feel great! When I stayed home, I found all I did was become depressed. It was not enough for me... I needed to work outside the home.... so I CHOSE to do it. Yes you should feel guilty, because compared to the working moms, you are lazy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• No one makes me feel guilty but I don't feel like I'm contributing. I have a college degree so I feel like that was just a waste. Plus growing up with feminist views, I believe housework and such should be 50/50. We are both adults, I'm not his momma there to clean up after him. Anyway, I give myself a hard time, no one else does. Why am I doing it then you may ask? Long story, kind of had no other choice at the time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• My MIL tries. She thinks it's horrible I quit school to stay home with my baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• My Hubby say's that if people give me a hard time for staying home tell them to f***off,lol And to ask him... We can afford for me to be home fulltime, but I still feel it's a sacrifice, I gave up my independence to dedicate myself to my children... What I don't appreciate are people who tell me that my kids need daycare or they will have a hard time in school... Thats funny because my 6 yr old is doing awesome in kindergarten and my 12 yr old is doing a great job in the 6th grade... My 5 yr old will be fine too next fall in kindergarten, and he was screened and did an awesome job too!!!! So to each her own, I love my MOM job!!!
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 11:58 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Why would I feel bad because some other woman thinks that the choices I made for my family are wrong, simply because they are not the choices she made for hers?

I don't really care if anyone thinks I'm lazy because I'm a sahm. And that they think I should feel guilty actually makes me laugh.
    Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 11:58 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Hi, I'm a working mom (3 days in the office and 2 days home with the kids), and I support ALL moms.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:59 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Anon 11:55 you sound very angry. I don't believe the OP said anything about being lazy. It sounds like you are mad at yourself for not being satisfied with just staying home with your kids. It may not have been for you, but for some it is. I am sure I work just as hard as you and stay home. Do you eat three home cooked meals a day? Is your laundry always done? Is your house perfectly clean?
    I in no way think SAHM moms or working moms are better than another, but SAHMs work just as hard as working moms. It is just a different type of job all day.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 12:03 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• My fiance actually gives me a hard time sometimes because I stay home with our son. We live with my mom so we would have a babysitter if I worked but I panic when I have to talk to people. My face turns red, I get short of breath, and my hands start sweating. I would like to make more money but I just can't get past that. I'm going to do Covance if they accept me as their lab rat for $2150 for 11 outpatient visits. It's a way to make money without having to be in the public.
    Anonymous