My 4 mo. old does not like to nap, by the evening he is a tired cranky mess! Any helpful naptime ideas for a kid who seems to be too interested in everything to sleep?

He will fall asleep while nursing but if I pick him up to put him to bed he is wide awake! He will fall asleep in his swing more easily,his pediatrician wants me to start putting him in bed for naps and let him cry& fuss a little. I can't let him cry, when it gets to that he is so upset he won't fall asleep. By the evening he is so tired, in a daze, and it is a race to have a bath & nurse him before he has a screaming, crying meltdown! I'm so stressed & feel so bad my little man is so tired and that he gets so upset. there has got to be an easier way!

MrsTommyB

Asked by MrsTommyB at 12:21 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I feel for ya... I had one the exact same way. I would have her in her little seat on top of the table.. I would actually fall asleep with my head on the table, and when I woke up, there she was wide eyed and looking around. UGH!!!! She's 25 now and has one exactly like her. All I can tell you is to lay him in his crib when you think it should be nap time.. eventually he will catch on. Do you have a little mobile he can look at until he falls asleep??
    Anonymous

• i dont know if this will work for you but hey might as well try it got nothing to loose hehe..... turn your vacumcleaner on while you are feeding him or while he is in his swing or even while you put him in his crib crying...belive me there is something about the noise that makes babys fall asleep in a second i do that with my little one and she is gone lol.....and while you move him fron the swing or where ever he is to put him in his crib keep the vacum on for a couple of minutes after he is in the crib and maybe that will help......hope it works for you....let me know take care
    LittleAngiesMom

Answer by LittleAngiesMom at 12:43 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• So, I take it you're nursing? The pitfall with nursing (I fell into it) is that baby tends to learn how to fall asleep at the breast and nowhere else which becomes an issue around 3-4 mo. because they start to become more aware of their surroundings and want to be involved in them. Try doing your primary feedings when your baby wakes up or an hour or so before an expected nap. Then, come up with a routine for naptime that does not involve the breast. Going to a quiet room, putting a zip up wearable blanket on and rocking with a pacifier for example. (Or whatever calms baby). I have a noisy fan in my daughter's room (always have) so the sound of the fan is a auditory reminder of sleep - plus it drownds out outside noise during the nap. Anyway, try to get baby relaxed but not asleep (you know - when the long blinks kick in) then lay baby down and walk away. You may have to do it several times before baby gets it.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 12:48 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I got cut off. Anyway, letting baby fuss is okay but I wouldn't let baby panic. There are two things that are really important to remember at this age. 1. Your baby should watch you walk away. It can be really scary for a baby to wake up in a different place than they went to sleep in (i.e. in a crib versus your arms). This also helps baby learn to go to sleep on his own which will be of great importance later on. 2. Don't wait too long. As soon as you see signs of sleepiness/crankiness, start the bedtime routine. A semi-tired baby is much easier to put to bed than one who is overly tired. Your baby will sleep longer and harder if he isn't overly tired. (Mine has always rubbed her eyes...if I wait for the crankiness to kick in, I'm in trouble.)

Good Luck!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 12:51 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I'm not nursing but my son is like that. He'll fall asleep in my arms then when I try to put him down in the crib he wakes up and cries. So during the day I do cheat and put him in my bed without any covers. I think he likes the softness of it better then the crib. Maybe he doesn't like the bars.
    and when he gets over tired he gets super cranky until finally he falls asleep.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 2:02 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I am guessing this is your first, just by the way the message is written...so forgive me if I am wrong. My suggestion is to take a nap with your baby. And stop listening to your pediatrician regarding everyday things. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:36 AM on Mar. 12, 2009