How many activites should a 3 yr. old have other then 2 1/2 days of Pre-k? When is it too much?

kekoasMaMa

Asked by kekoasMaMa at 12:35 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It's kind of a tough situation. He likes swimming, I assume? Can you go and watch him? (or do you already)

I think the most important thing is to do what you feel is best for HIM.

My three year old's schedule is pretty much spread out...there's something almost every day (good or bad, I don't know)

Monday...school (10am) and gym class (4:30pm)
    Tuesday....speech
    Wednesday...OT (8am) and gym class (4:30)
    Thursday...speech
    Friday...school
    Saturday...swim lessons

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:11 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I think it all depends on your child. My daughter is in Pre K for 2 1/2 hrs. She is also in Gymnastics, Swimming, Speech, Physical Therapy twice a week and Italian Lessons. She does fine with all of that but my 3 year old does not like to do anything but school and I am not pushing her at this point. Every child is different.
    brooklynny

Answer by brooklynny at 1:02 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• That depends on the kid. Personally, I don't think pre-k is necessary for a three year old anyway....but I've no room to talk since my son attends 2 days, 2 1/2 hours of preschool. His is by doctor's recommendation for social skills because he's borderline PDD-NOS.

He is also in a 45 minute gym class at the YMCA two days a week with his older brother (sports) and he takes a swimming class once a week (45 minutes) also with his older brother.

Now, he also has two 1/2 hour sessions of speech and OT (each).

A grand total of 9 hours 15 minutes of "activities" for him per week.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:02 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Thanks. I totally agree with the both of you. Here is my lil mans schedule:

Monday-Swimming
    Tues-School, martial arts
    Wed-Swiming
    Thurs -school
    I guess my concern is I work full time, his dad & I share him.. . obviously, my only child. Am I being selfish to want to take away a swim class to hang out with him after I get off work?
    kekoasMaMa

Answer by kekoasMaMa at 1:21 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• You should look into stress indicators for children to see if it's too much for your child. Different children will react to the stress in their life differently, and having a broken family is a big stress factor in any child's life. Does your son have any sleep or discipline issues? Is he showing any signs of difficulties with transitioning from one house to another? Does he use any of these activities as a way of coping with the stress?? If the activities help alleviate stress, then he should keep at them. If he's showing signs of being stressed with all these activities, then remove one or two and spend more focused time with him one-on-one to see if that helps. Remember that you need to balance both his needs AND yours to minimize stress all around. Good luck!
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 1:51 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• dang i need to get my kids in some activities lol! Yall making me look bad ;), my oldest wants to do Martial Arts this year so i will let him, but what about a just turned 3 year old? I dont know
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 1:57 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I would never see my kids if I added activities to their day. They are in daycare all day and my DD is in preschool half days. I have to wait til the summer just to do swimming lessons!
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 2:09 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• This year at age 4 my daughter has 4 year old Preschool, three mornings a week for 2 1/2 hours. That's all she does. IMHO people think they're being wonderful by giving their children a ton of activity opportunities when in actuality children's imaginations are not as bright as they used to be because they don't get enough quiet time, and time for imaginative play. I'm in the teaching field, and I can definitely see it in the children I teach. Some of them have never even sat down and just colored quietly! But with my own situ, I would have liked to have gotten her into dance this year, it wasn't possible financially. But I am so happy that since this is her last year to just be a kid, that I can be home with her.
    tikigoddess

Answer by tikigoddess at 2:13 PM on Mar. 11, 2009