Why is corporate welfare ok but public aid is bad?

Why do so many people rail against the public assistance system but seem to have no problem with corporate welfare and subsidies?

Friday

Asked by Friday at 1:03 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I haven't had time to really think about this question, other things going on.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 1:03 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Bailouts are bad, incentives to create jobs are good.

Supporting people for life while they work under the table and have more luxuries than most is bad, giving them help with daycare for the kids they already have and schooling for themselves to get a decent job is good.

Where's the problem with that?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:08 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• It is all bad!!!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 1:13 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Who's all for corporate welfare? I haven't seen anyone saying it's a good thing. I've seen some people saying it's a necessary evil in order to keep more people from losing their jobs, but that's about it.
    Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 1:17 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I sure don't see people complaining about corporate welfare like they do PA. I have seen multiple questions and other posts around CM railing against PA and anyone who has ever used it but practically nothing about corporate welfare. I'm not even talking about the bailouts this has been going on much longer than that. I'm talking about things like oil companies getting subsidies when they are one of the most profitable industries in the world.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 1:24 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• people on welfare don't employ people or create jobs. they are parasites on society.
    Anonymous

• When was the last time someone on public aid used their "incentives" to hire somone?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:26 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

Where's the problem with that?

How is it capitalism if we subsidize industry? I understand being against welfare fraud but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm referring to PA in general.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 1:26 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Bailouts ARE BAD. No true Capitalist, Conservative believes in bailouts. Bailouts encourage nationalization and Govt ownership of corporations. That is bad for American economy to grow. That disincentivizes small businesses to prosper. America needs Small businesses.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:29 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I agree, you don't see people complaining about corporate welfare nearly as much. But I think that's more from lack of knowledge rather than thinking it's a good thing. People feel more informed about personal welfare - even if they are misinformed they THINK they know more. They don't feel comfortable talking about corporate welfare because they don't understand it.

Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 1:30 PM on Mar. 11, 2009