When did you give your baby a pacifier after establishing breast feeding?

bluelady27

Asked by bluelady27 at 1:17 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• According to all the classes I've taken and LLLI you shouldn't give a pacifier (or any artificial nipple) for the first 6 weeks and not until breastfeeding is firmly established.
    doubleyouteeeff

Answer by doubleyouteeeff at 4:28 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• My son was whisked off to the NICU after he was born and stayed there for the first few hours of his life. The nurses had already given him one (and bottle fed him with formula) by the time they brought him to me to breast feed, without even asking first. That frustrated me but I shortly discovered that even with a tongue tie (a shortened frenulum. A tongue condition), my son had no problem breast feeding or sucking on various different kinds of pacifiers and learn to breast feed just fine.

Some babies really do have nipple confusion though but every baby is different. Why not try it out and see if your baby wants it. However, if you've made it this far not relying on pacifiers to soothe and comfort (and help them fall asleep!) why not continue? The longer/older a baby has one, the harder it is going to be to try to take it away from them later.

Good luck!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:22 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• My daughter had a pacifier few hours after she was born and I breastfeed also. She had no nipple confusing. She only likes the nuk pacifiers though. I also put breast milk in the Playtex bottles.
    Anonymous

• I waited about 2 or 3 weeks for both daughters to start pacifier and occasional bottle of expressed milk, just to be sure they could be without me sometimes (my husband and I split the SAH duties. Neither of them took the pacifier well until about a month or 6 weeks old, and I weaned them both from it around 6 months.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:44 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• when my son was born no one told me how to breastfeed. The nurses took him away to give him a hearing test and when he came back he had a pacifier in his mouth. for the first week or two i didnt get any sleep because my son couldn't latch on properly. So i stopped giving him the pacifier and used my finger, pad side up, to calm him down. He now is 7months old, totally breastfed no formula what so ever, and doesn't like pacifiers. he only likes to chew on the handles lol
    MomCakes

Answer by MomCakes at 1:50 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• The day after she was born my granddaughter had a pacifier. She would only attach to one breast and the lactation consultant noticed that she wasn't placing her tongue correctly. My daughter and I were getting frustrated because the lactation nurse was shoving my screaming granddaughter to my daughters breast and we knew she wasn't having it.

Anyhow, once at home she would still only go to that one breast so my daughter had to pump the other. My granddaughter only sucks on one type of pacifier, though. We tried to give her another one that was "shaped just like a nipple" and she hates it. She still won't place her tongue correctly.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 4:58 PM on Mar. 11, 2009