I have a c section question, I have 2 kids and another one on the way. my other kids I had them vaginally, and this child I am carrying I am high risk with and will probably be induced, he keeps changing positions sometimes hes breeched and sometimes hes head down, I want to know the details of a c section and was wondering about the recovering time and was wondering if it was horribly painful.

nessy1980

Asked by nessy1980 at 1:20 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The C section itself isn't bad at all. Once they have you numbed it should only feel like they"re messing with your tummy. I never knew when they cut me. The recovery is fairly painful and it took me a few weeks before I could stand/walk with no discomfort. I've had both...vaginal is more painful delivery and easier recovery. Section is easier delivery and longer recovery.
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 1:25 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I had a scheduled C/s, so keeping that in mind, it wasn't too bad. I didn't feel anything but some pressure during the surgery, and the pain meds keep the pain away for a few hours after. Having to get up and walk around the next day hurt a lot, but if you don't do it then recovery's going to be even longer and harder, and it gets better the more you do it. Standing, sitting, getting out of bed, etc. were the worst part as far as pain goes, but it didn't last more than a couple of weeks. Coughing, sneezing, laughing, etc. made it feel like my stomach was going to rip open, but pressing a pillow to the incision helped a lot. I was up and out showing off my son 5 days after my C/s, and we went to the beach for the week a few days after that. All in all, not that bad. I didn't even need my prescription pain meds after the first couple of nights at home, just regular ibuprofen.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:28 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I had a Csection in August. It was my first child. I actually LOVED the Csection! I can't imagine a better labor experience (or non-labor experience, lol). For prep, they come in and shave your stomach and pelvic area with clippers. You drink this bitter stuff that looks like it is in a creamer container to help with any indigestion after the surgery. It's really gross, but they let you have some ice or a drink of water immediately after you drink it. You'll have an IV put in before you go back to surgery. So, you will go to the Operating Room in your rolling bed. They will have you move onto the surgery table, lean over on a nurse while you get your spinal block. (That didn't hurt, not scary.) They'll help you lay back and the anesthisist will explain how they will test you for numbness. They'll take a wet sponge in freezing water and let you feel it on your inner arm so you know how cold it is. CON'T>...
    nichvegas-mommy

Answer by nichvegas-mommy at 1:28 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Then they'll put it on your belly and inner thigh and you tell them if you feel it. Seriously, you feel NOTHING!! Then they put up a blue sheet and call in the person who you want to be in the room with you. They start the Csection, and it's strange how you can feel tugging and pulling but no pain at all. ZERO, NONE! So I felt tugging when they were pulling the baby's head out, and a lot of pressure on my upper stomach when they were pushing to get him out, but it didn't hurt. After that, they stitch you up and off you go to recovery. Now, it's fuzzy to me, but I do remember being in pain after the Csection, but they give you a 24 hour morphine shot that will stop the pain, so just endure for that hour or so til it kicks in. I recovered SUPER quickly, with pain on a scale of 1 to 10, at maybe a 5 max after that first day. It wasn't bad getting up to walk the next day, just sore and tender. Good luck!!
    nichvegas-mommy

Answer by nichvegas-mommy at 1:32 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• i had to have an emergency c-section which was pretty scaring but the whole process was easy, they do make you get up and walk around but if you dont then it will only make the pain worse, for about 2 weeks i walked a little hunched over, didnt even need any pain meds, i didnt lift anything heavier than my baby and i was back to work and school within a month. so i think it all depends on how well you or anyone can tolerate pain afterwards. GL
    gurlieracer4

Answer by gurlieracer4 at 2:02 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I had an emergency csection and it was terrible. They couldn't give me enough medicine to numb me all the way without risking harm to my baby. I had just had an epidural and then the doc decided that we needed to do a csection cause my baby's heart rate kept dropping. I could feel everything they did but as soon as they go Lillian out they gave me some morphine and it was all better. I have heard that when they are planned it goes much smoother. Hope so, my next one will be a planned csection. good luck everything should be fine.
    Anonymous

• I was induced to give a natural delivery but ended up with a Csection. They wouldn't give me an epidural until I was 5 cm, so they gave me some other pain killer that messed me up for sure. Anyway so even after the pain killers and after the epidural, I could still feel them ripping me apart, I swear. Pain killers make me sick so luckily I was in and out of consciousness because I was in pain. I remember telling them it hurt and they said "oh no, just a little pressure." WHATEVER!!Wasn't a pleasant experience during but when I got home I had no problems.
    lalli_lalli

Answer by lalli_lalli at 3:37 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• my first was unplanned and TERRIBLE!! but that was mainly because i was one big pile of nerves and too much of a push over to stand up for myself and what i wanted. as long as you go in knowing exactly who you want near you, when and where, things will go very smoothly. with my first they had to force me out of the bed and move, with my second i scared the crap out of my mom cause i almost knocked her down as i went out the door for a walk (good scare not bad). the surgery itself went really well both times. i call them the most peaceful times of my life. they give you a cocktail in your spinal that is a lot like a very very strong xanax. it makes you all like "oooooooohhhhhhhhh look at the pretty lights. can i push that button. your hair is pretty." (and the nurse was a guy!!!) i was so relaxed that i actually watched the second one with out feeling squeemish and i have a very squeemish stomach. nothing to be afraid of!
    alli286

Answer by alli286 at 4:41 PM on Mar. 11, 2009