For the first time i will buy my own food for me and my 6 month old baby and i have no clue how much money to set a side?!

iLOVEoctober

Asked by iLOVEoctober at 1:27 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Food & Drink

• If you are setting up a kitchen it would take a lot of money, since you'd need to get in staples such as salt, pepper, paper goods, foil, dish detergent, etc. But lets assume your kitchen is already set up and you need to buy weekly food for an adult and a baby. You may be able to get along with as little as $50, but I'd take $80 that first time just to make sure.

Answer by Bmat at 1:30 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I would go with 50 a week... Thats what i got by with for me and mine at first...
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 1:32 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• When I moved out of my mom's house, it was me and my son (11 months at the time) and the very first shopping trip i spent somewhere between 100 and 150, for things like seasoning, napkins, papertowels, dish soap, foil, cling wrap, sandwich bags. After that, it averaged about 60 dollars every two weeks. I was a very frugal shopper- make sure to comparison shop. A lot of places like walmart or target will price match if you find something cheaper else where. Buy store brand if you can. Use coupons. Make sure you check because sometime with a coupon, store brand is still cheaper, othertimes its a cheaper with the coupon. Always take a list. That will cut down on buying things you've already got at home, and it also helps with the "but i would LOVE to have some" it sucks, but when its not in the budget, sometimes you can't have it.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 2:34 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I wish I could spend that little It helps if you make your own baby food. A lot of fruits/veggies freeze pretty well. There's a lot of sites online if you're interested.
    boscomomof3

Answer by boscomomof3 at 2:35 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Ask some other moms where they shop. usually a cheaper price does not mean less quality, but sometimes you will find that is the case. Before you go shopping for the first time, make a list and check the prices so you know what how much money you will need. It is also important to keep in mind that, if you are on a strict budget, you might not be able to get the finest meats or produce. Frozen veggies are cheaper than fresh and much easier to cook, and you don't have to worry about using it in a certain time frame. Try buying meat in bulk. You can get hamburger in 5 pound rolls at most grocery stores, when you get home, slice it into five sections and freeze individually. That alone can save you 3-5 dollars. The same with steak, pork, and chicken. I buy ten pound bags of chicken quarters, separate the legs and thighs, package them as meals and freeze. 5 dollars for a bag that gives me 5 meals vs 5 dollars for individual meals.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 2:40 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• You can also buy a pork roast and slice that into pork chops. I've spent 10 dollars for a roast that gives me four meals vs 8-12 dollars for presliced pork chops. A lot things like seasonings, you can go to a superwalmart or food lion and get store brand/off brand seasoning. I buy mine at walmart for 50 cents a bottle.

I would also recommend looking into wic or food assistance. Remember: there is nothing wrong with asking for help when you need it.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 2:44 PM on Mar. 11, 2009