my son is 6 1/2 months old, is he too old to be getting up 1-2 times in the night to feed?

emsutt

Asked by emsutt at 1:34 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No. Anytime before a year old is acceptable to get up and eat at night. If he is still drinking the whoel bottle then he needs the nutrients. Be patient, he will drop the feedings when he is ready.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 1:35 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• hey my son too, but he is little, 12.5 pounds, he is 6 mnths and still waks up 2 times, ughhhhh, but at least when hes done etaing he goes right back to sleep=)
    Anonymous

• Have you talked to your doctor about feeding him a little more or adding rice cereal to his diet? That might help. It does seem a little odd to me that he is still waking up, but all kids develop differently too. So, don't beat yourself up over this.
    MommaSherman424

Answer by MommaSherman424 at 1:55 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• My son is 5 mos and doesn't go to sleep until like 1am but then he will sleep until morning. I wish he would sleep a little earlier. I will take what I can get. I just added cereal, but he really doesn't swallow it yet, just mushes it in his mouth. I don't think we can force our kids to sleep. But hopefully the older they get the better the routine.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 1:59 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• At 6 months and one week, we're really working at getting rid of the night feeding. My first daughter dropped hers around now (but started waking up around 6am), my second seems to be having more trouble. Supposedly if they're healthy and gaining weight fine, they can fast 10-12 hours at night by 6 months. But it's possible for them to just be trained to get some of their calories at night, so it requires a bit of an adjustment -- as in, they ARE hungry then, not just comfort feeding -- so they have to start making up for it during the day in order to make it through the night.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:06 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Normal.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:12 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Wow, I wish my daughter would only wake up 1-2 times in the night! She's ready for bed around 8, but sleeps only about 2 hours at a time, waking up for about 10 minutes to nurse in between. She's 7 months, and eats a little solid food, but mostly plays with it...I can't wait to get some real sleep...maybe this summer, lol.
    LyraLark

Answer by LyraLark at 3:56 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• no. my son wouldnt sleep thru the night until he was a year old. im not joking! i just dont think he was gettin full off the formula and his other baby food. once he went to whole milk it got better
    MichaelsMomm122

Answer by MichaelsMomm122 at 10:26 PM on Mar. 13, 2009