How many feedings for a breastfed 6 month old?

I know it's still supposed to be on-demand, but my daughter's always wanted to eat about every hour or hour and a half. Now that she's getting some solids a couple of times a day, she's able to go more like an average of every 2 or 2 1/2 hours, which I guess is still pretty frequent from what it seems like other people say they do. Is it too early to try to get her on a somewhat set feeding schedule, like when she wakes up, when she goes down for her 2 naps, and right before bed (plus the solids 2x a day)? I don't know if she likes to eat so often to be close to me or because she needs the milk that often... she gets much less frantic and eats less frequently when my husband is home with her giving her expressed milk... as soon as she sees me it's over.

EmilySusan

Asked by EmilySusan at 1:50 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Same here, my six month old has started solids but he's still a booby monster, about every 2 hours during the day and 3-4 at night. Part of it is surely for comfort, I have people telling me not to feed him when he bangs his head against my boob and tries to suck through my shirt, "wait for him to cry" but I can't do that. Sometimes it's just a short nursing, thirsty maybe, and other times its longer. Unless you're having a problem with it just keep doing what you're doing, don't listen to other people, it's your baby and your boobs.
    wadesmum

Answer by wadesmum at 3:52 PM on Mar. 11, 2009