1099 question

If someone didn't send my husband a 1099 for the work he did last year, do i still list the amount on our tax return? Do i estimate how much it was. They were single checks not checks with stubs, and when i deposited or cashed them it was in bulk with others. The bank said without me knowing the specific amounts of dates it would be almost impossible for them to look up. I don't remember amounts of dates becuase they were just randomly throughout the year when he did work for them. And its md march and still havn't got anything. WHen i called his office his secretary said well if you havn't got it by now i guess he isn't going to send one. So dont worry about it. I wanted to reach through the phone and slab the bitch. Anyways do i just estimate a fiqure?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:59 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Money & Work

• ALL businesses are required to have them mailed no later than January 31st. I would be on the phone with someone immediately about this. And don't make up a number because you could get in trouble with the IRS that way.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 2:06 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• If he didn't receive one, then he might have made less than the required reporting amount. I think you have to make at least $600 from the company to receive a 1099... I didn't get one this time (YAY), but I will still report the income on our taxes (I DO get a stub with mine, and because they have SS numbers on them, I keep them for at least a year before they get burned. Hope that helps!
    trebelcleff

Answer by trebelcleff at 3:16 PM on Mar. 11, 2009