Can my almost one year old (friday) eat a sandwich?

I have been terrified to give him big people food. And now I'm starting and realizing he is doin okay. Is it okay to givehim little bits of a turkey sandwich?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:07 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes it is. :) He may take it apart to eat it, but that's fine.

Answer by Bmat at 2:09 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Hmm...I dunno. I give my 10 month old solids, but haven't given her anything complex yet, like a sandwich.

Interesting. Really though, If you do give him one I would like to know (if you don't mind) how it went. Kaylee does really well with a wide variety of solid, "adult" food. It would be nice to be able to make the both of us sandwiches for lunch.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:09 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Of course it is! I know for some moms it's hard not to follow all the rules to a tee... but it'll be fine.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 2:11 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• It depends on the kid, really...just like with anything asked around here.

Mine were eating all table foods at 9 months. For their first birthday we took them to McDonalds for a happy mean for the first time. (and yes...they each ate almost the entire thing!) Just tear it up into pieces a good size for him (um...the turkey sandwich, I mean. LOL)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:14 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• If hes ready for table foods then he should do ok with a sandwich. My son started on table foods at 10 months or so and has been eating sandwiches ever since.
    They can make a mess out of it by taking it appart but they have fun with it!
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 3:29 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Yes. I'd keep the sandwich simple (bread and meat- maybe some butter/mayo) and then cut it in quarters. Or you could offer your child the bread and meat individually-- and cut everything up into bite-size pieces.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:05 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Yup I've been giving my almost 1 year sandwiches (1 on the 16th :]) since about 10 months. He was refusing baby food at 9 months. Anyways, I always made sure to cut them in really small pieces so he didn't choke and I almost always toast the bread, non toasted sometimes gets stuck to the roof of his mouth..lol. most of the time he just ate the bread and left the meat...lol.
    grooveybabe004

Answer by grooveybabe004 at 7:23 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• My son refused baby food starting at 6months. I homemade it after that and gradually increased the texture. He had all of his teeth, so, by 9.5 months, he ate his first Kids hamburger and was fine.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:05 PM on Mar. 12, 2009