Child Molestation Commercial

I just saw a commercial where it said 1 in every 4 girls and 1 in every 6 boys will be sexually molested by someone they know and trust before the age of 18! This saddens my heart. I just gave birth on the 3rd and to think of someone taking advantge of my little girl makes me cry. What do you ladies think about this? And does anyone have any ideas on how to protect & prevent this from happening?

MiMiBreezy

Asked by MiMiBreezy at 2:09 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• i dont know you cant really trust anyone. my mom and her sisters were by their stepdad and uncle. and my cousin was by her moms bf. so i guess just try to watch your kids and who they are with
    Anonymous

• I would prob kill anyone who did something like that to one of my kids. The truth is you can't trust anyone, and if you feel uncomfartable with someone with your child go with your gut. Don't brush it off, make up an excuse or tell them the truth.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 2:18 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Welcome to being a mother! When you have children, every bad thing you hear happening to a child strikes a cord. It never goes away either. When my first was born, I would sit there crying ( yes, I was hormonal too) for every baby who was ever abused, unwanted, or unloved.

I go with my gut instinct. I have put full trust in my "mothers instinct" Better safe then sorry.
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 2:18 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• The saddest part of that statistic is that it generally is the result of someone the child knows. We make it a point to steer our children clear of scary characters in public because we think they "look" like child molesters but the reality of it is that if it ever does happen to our child it will more than likely be by someone close to us. As the mother of a victim I recommend teaching your child as soon as they start talking, the technical terms for body parts and making sure they know where it is okay to be touched and when it's considered a bad touch. Make sure your child is NEVER afraid to tell you when someone is bothering them, ESPECIALLY when it is someone close to them. Don't put it off and shelter your child from the reality of the words penis and vagina because you think they are too young and their ears are too sensitive. This can all be taught without scaring your child into thinking everyone is going to hurt them
    Anonymous

• cont'd Anon 1:36PM (I don't like to post anon but I don't want to advertise my child's painful past either so I hope everyone will understand)
    The best thing you can do to protect your child is to communicate with them and trust them when they tell you something isn't right even if that something has nothing to do with this particular topic. In the experience my child had the offender moved slowly at first to gain her trust. Only after a few instances of "mild touching" (if you can really call it that) did he push it further. If she had felt comfortable enough to tell us the first time something happened we could have saved her from something much worse. She was afraid because he was a family friend with 4 kids of his own. We had no idea until it was too late.
    Anonymous

• From personal experience..... DONT TRUST ANYONE! growing up i learned if a man could take advantage of it-- he WILL!! I learned this from my father, BIL & a friends BIL growing up. and another guy that i knew.

Because of this I love my DH & know he loves his DD but I cannot trust him fully to be with her.. I also dont trust any man to be alone with her or change her diaper. I dont care if the boy is 10 or 50!
    Anonymous

• scary...people are sick, sad, & desperate!
    MiMiBreezy

Answer by MiMiBreezy at 8:51 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Nothing really easies the mind of us as being mothers, you can go to your local police dept and get a list of sex affenders in your area. Always keep her close,dont leave her alone with any men,family or not.My son is 7 and I still worry everyday that he is safe in school,on the playground, its our nature to constantly worry.When he is outside with his friends I still check all the time, we live in an ugly society that their are sickos out there to hurt our kids.
    momindistress08

Answer by momindistress08 at 2:49 PM on Mar. 16, 2009