Is it normal to think about suicide?

I think about it all the time - this has been going on for many years. The thought of what it would do to my kids and family prevents me from going through with it, but sometimes the urge is very strong. I have two scenarios..one would involve some time and prep, but the other is just crashing my car into something solid at high speed and I am afraid I could carry this one out before I can really talk myself out of it. These thoughts are so often I am wondering if everyone goes through them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:17 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Health

• no please seek help
    Anonymous

• Honey, you need to talk to a psychiatrist. Really. It's not normal to fantasize about killing yourself. Please get some help before your poor family suffers for your momentary lapse in restraint.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 2:19 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• i had the same feelings after i had my daughter, and thats how I knew I needed help. I see a mental health doctor regularly. And am on meds for depression. Talkto your doctor, even your ob doc. he can help or refer you to someone who can. If you have a terrible stress day and just need to talk, then le tme know. There are many great moms on here that would be glad to help in any they can.
    casd

Answer by casd at 2:23 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I sometimes get upset and when I am driving think about just hitting something. Not necessarily to kill myself, but just to release some stress. I too would never do it because I would never be able to hurt my family like that. I was very upset after my miscarriage that my mom actually called someone to go with me on my deliveries ( I do deliveries and other stuff for her business). I asked the person straight out if my mom called her because she just 'showed up' to go with me. I laughed at my mom and said that I wouldn't actually run into a wall or anything just because I said it. However if you think about planning and actually killing yourself then I would talk to a professional about it. You might need to take some medicine or you might just need to talk to someone that won't judge you. Life sucks sometimes, but killing yourself definitely won't solve anything.
    Anonymous

• maybe you don't understand what suicide does to those left behind? two months ago a friend's husband killed himself with a gun in front of her in their home. two years ago my child's best friend went to school and her father was alive. She came home from school and he'd shot himself with a gun while she was gone. Suicide not only is a medical disease in some one who attempts it succeeding or not, it becomes a medical disease for life for some one who's loved one has killed themselves. Your life matters no matter how lonely you are, cafe mom is here. Read the corny jokes here, the lameless questions, write cm a child journal of every thing you kids do every day, join a library's many clubs that are free, many churches have women's clubs that do community service, many towns have women's clubs that do community service, tell cm of every single accomplishment in your life .Your children need you,life needs your experiencs.
    Anonymous

• I am seeking medical aide for this. There actually is a diagnosis. Suicidal Ideation I believe is the name. I take Respidal to make the thaughts stop. I want to drive my car into oncoming traffic is the thaught that I always think of. I thought my thought was the only one. Its nice to know that there are others out there.
    leeleesboys

Answer by leeleesboys at 4:08 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Seek medical help but keep this in mind. My mother's cousin had the same thoughts, ran her car into a concrete divider but did not die. Can't take care of herself, screwed herself up for life.
    Anonymous