For those of you who did not/do not use crib bumpers...

When did your child finally get the hang of not banging their head?

My dd is 7 months and still wakes once a night when she rolls and bangs her head.

Please don't respond with 'use bumpers', that was not the question.

Thanks!

kboney29

Asked by kboney29 at 2:25 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We had a padded bumper in our son's crib until he started rolling over. It was just for decoration. I replaced it with a bumper that is mesh so when he does roll over he can still breathe if his face is in a corner.

As for bumping his head, yes he did and yes, he woke up. But, we let him fuss and put himself back to sleep. Eventually he outgrew it. I can't say when exactly because he bumped his head only occasionally hard enough to wake.

He's two now and doesn't have a mesh bumper anymore because he can use it to climb on.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 2:31 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• can't help ya with that.. we have a bumper. I have an extra if you want to use it!! (lol sorry couldn't resist)
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 2:30 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• try placing him in different directions in the crib than you normally do; if he's a tosser/turner, then you're just in trouble & should probably invest in that ****** :)

If he's a solid sleeper, just try different positions! My daughter slept with toys in her bed (gasp!) and once she learned to cuddle with a toy, she didn't really move around that much. and I know you're worried about him hitting his head, but you've also got to consider that they can get their hands, arms, legs and feet stuck in between the bars at that age! a ****** is sounding better every second!!! sorry :(
    mommaruth07

Answer by mommaruth07 at 2:37 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I just took the bumper off of my sons crib cause he would pull on it and I didnt like that he did that! But hes a sound sleeper, so far. Sorry, I have no advice for ya just if he wakes uplet him fuss a lil.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 2:53 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Hmm, we never used bumpers with our babies and maybe that was what some of that waking up was about... once we got them off the night feedings we rarely responded to a little crying at night and just let them put themselves back to sleep. So if you're ok with doing that, I think it should work. They really can't get that hurt just from rolling.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:01 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I've never used a bumper but my son hasn't bumped his head often. We've never had issues with limbs getting stuck either.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 3:26 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• My DD is a 14 months old. we took he bumper out at 4 months and put it right back in a few days later because she did get her legs stuck. We took it out again when she got to be old enough to mess with the ties (around 11 months) and low and behold she still gets her legs stuck. I guess every baby is different.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:33 PM on Mar. 11, 2009