How do I get my house in order?

I have a tendency to keep too much stuff. We have clothes we don't wear or that do not fit anymore. Way too many papers, and basically just a bunch of crap. BUT I don't want to just throw it away. What is the best way to get rid of the crap without being wasteful?

asTraySoJouRner

Asked by asTraySoJouRner at 2:30 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I think the boy scouts have recycling drives still, don't they? Donate the paper to them. In our hometown we also have big containers sponsored by the Lion's Club where you can drop paper for recycling.

The clothing is best donated as well. Salvation Army and Goodwill are the most well known. This is especially important right now because so many people are out of work and struggling to make ends meet so are needing to use donated items!

Once you have things tidy-

The best way to tame the paper tiger is to have one place in your home where the mail lands. EACH DAY, you need to go through it and file, shred, and recycle the pile. This will keep it from growing out of control!

As for clothes, I have heard that the best way to manage... whenever something new comes into the house, something old needs to leave. Keep a donation bag in every closet for clothes that don't fit, etc. Donate when it's full.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 2:40 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Tackle the problem room by room. Don't look at it as an overall problem - you will get overwhelmed and continue to not do anything about it.

papers - get a filing cabinet. File, file, file. Kids stuff from school? Scan it onto your computer, save it on a disk, and toss the original.

Clothes, random items - donate. garage sell. Don't think you have enough things to have a sell? Have a multi-family sell....invite friends or family to join you. Set a date, and have your things ready by then.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:46 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• You can donate the clothing or any household items. I would get rid of anything that has not been used in the last 6 months to a year. If you haven't missed it yet chances are you never will use it again. Recycle papers you don't need or like the pp get a filing cabinet and organize..I definitely need to invest in a small one for bills and insurance papers. Get nice and tidy and organized. I promise you it will make life easier and you won't have to worry about going through papers monthly (like I do now). Put the paperwork away right when you get it so that you don't have a stack of cluttered papers to go through next time. And as the pp said, tackle it room by room. I am now doing baby's room. When I get done there I will get to the spare bed room and bath then when all is done I will FINALLY do my bedroom!
    vikaroo18

Answer by vikaroo18 at 3:39 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• We started doing what the show how clean is your house does, which is empty room by room to the front yard, make piles, yard sale, keep, donate, and toss. we do this room by room about every six motns, it's amazong how much crap we end up selling at the yard sale and whatever didn't sell we donated.
    Vanessannd

Answer by Vanessannd at 6:27 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Dont get overwhelmed! It didnt take a day to get in that situation and it wont take a day to get out of it. I agree with the start with one room theory. Be proud of the progress you are making. Usually cleaning the room you spend most of your time in first will help you want to keep going. Craigslist is a good place to put things you want to get rid of.. you can sell them or put them on the free list. I keep a basket in the living room (where most our junk collects) that I fill with items left out by my family. At the end of the day we get our stuff and put it where it belongs. This keeps clutter from building up. I agree if it hasnt been used in the last 6mos/year chances are its just wasting space. Everyone organizes different. Find what is easiest for you and what fits your family. Most of the time its just simply creating new habits. Encourage your kids to get involved in picking up after themselves. Hope this helps!
    Tzutchka

Answer by Tzutchka at 12:32 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Go through each room by itself. Don't tackle all at once - too overwhelming. Get 3 boxes - one to give away to some charitable organizations - Salvation Army, Women's Safehouse, garage sale. 2nd box - all paperwork that needs to be thrown away - old magazines - old newspapers that you will never get around to reading - flyers from old events that have already occured, ticket stubs, menus from vacations, old notebooks. 3rd box - papers that you need to save - file every week so the pile is not too high. Have a filing system with folders for tax items, automobile repair papers to see when you need to have it checked again etc. Also remember the items you give to charity are tax deductible so save receipts with taxes. You can also have a swap with your friends, fun way to get rid of what you don't like and get something you do. Have picture albums to put pictures from vacations, parties etc. Old make -up throw away.
    Scorpio359

Answer by Scorpio359 at 12:07 AM on Mar. 13, 2009