I am curious to learn more about Gnostic Beliefs and is it similar to the Wiccan belief?

IntuitiveAngel

Asked by IntuitiveAngel at 1:44 AM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Agnostic and Wiccan aren't the same. Agnotic is a belief that things like higher powers, afterlife, etc are not known and inherently unknowable. Wiccan is more based off witchcraft of old, pre-christain pagan rituals.
    Caiged

Answer by Caiged at 1:48 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Both are great if you don't believe in the traditional Jesus Christ and all that. I am Wiccan and have been since I was 13. I found it to be the most understandable, fair religion out there. It gives you options. You can open your mind to things and not be "told" what to believe, when to pray, who or what to pray to, etc. You should really check it out. My favorite Wiccan author is Silver Raven Wolf. She's great.
    amdeetuemama

Answer by amdeetuemama at 2:03 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Wicca also believes in a God and Goddess. The names of Gods depends on each individual person's beliefs.
    seakla

Answer by seakla at 8:30 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Im not a wiccan, so I cant help you there, but I am a Gnostic. In a nutshell, unlike orthodox Christianity, Gnostics believe the path to God can be found within ourselves and that every individual has the ability to be Christlike. Here comes the shameless plug...If you would like to learn more, join my group. Gnostic Moms. We'd be glad to have you ;)
    bvona

Answer by bvona at 11:37 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I want to learn about Gnosticism too! thanks for the shamless hook up. I have wondered about it for a long time.
    Mamma_Tree

Answer by Mamma_Tree at 3:16 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• No its not like wicca... as already explained it's the belief that god can be foune in us all. Wiccans believe in an external god and goddess.

Gnostics are a form of christians. Wiccans are pagan.

Here lookat these...
    http://altreligion.about.com/library/faqs/bl_gnosticism.htm

http://paganwiccan.about.com/od/wiccaandpaganismbasics/Basic_Beliefs_and_Concepts_of_Wicca_and_Paganism.htm

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:57 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I have been studying the Gnostic faith a lot lately and in a nutshell Gnosticism teaches that we are eternal souls and that the Other Side is our true Home and reality. We incarnate in order to learn and advance spiritually.
    We create a chart and choose our spirit guide, before incarnation. The chart holds the major points in our lives, chosen by us, depending on the lessons we want to learn, such as number of marriages, divorce, number of children and so on.. these are all learning experiences and nothing to do with failure.. It was all pre-ordained by us, with the approval of God and the Elders..
    We also believe in Father God AND Mother God (Azna)

I have taken much of this from the Sylvia Browne Topics and Spiritual Learning Group.... discusses both Gnosticism and Wiccan, among many other topics. I am only somewhat familiar with Wiccan so I can't really comment on the similaries/differences. Hope that helped a bit!
    campeno

Answer by campeno at 10:13 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Super-briefly:
    Technically, Gnosticism is the belief that this world is a mistake created by an imperfect god called the "demiurge," and that the path to salvation, or escape from the bad physical world, comes through direct personal knowledge of the divine. Some Gnostics identify as Christians and some don't.

Wicca is a modern Pagan belief system that does not include a belief in the need for salvation and that is generally polytheistic and honors both the male and female aspects of the divine, usually believed to be within and external to the practitioner. Certainly most Wiccans would agree that direct personal interaction with the divine is a cornerstone of their religious practice, but I think that the similarities between the two stop there.
    JennySchumaker

Answer by JennySchumaker at 10:11 PM on Sep. 18, 2008

• I was just on a site where the writer claims to be a christian witch. Basically gnostic and wiccan together. Why do people seem to want to keep the two separate? Is there anyone out there who can claim to be a "Christian Witch"?
    ceciandrew

Answer by ceciandrew at 2:22 PM on Mar. 9, 2009