Why, on God's green Earth, should anyone have an automatic weapon?

I just watched the news and saw about the shooting spree in Alabama. Ugh. That man used an AK47 for at least part of his assault on innocent people. Why are these guns available to civilians? I don't care if one is a "collector"... no one needs to be collecting that $#*!.

I realize people can be killed by hunting guns too, and I do think those should be harder to get, but they're definitely not going away.

There have been so too many instances when automatic weapons have been used on shooting rampages in this country. Why? Why have them? They can serve no purpose but hurting people in a more efficient manner. Really pisses me off.

Feel free to spout your frustration or tell me I'm wrong. (Though I can't guarantee I won't come back with something)

sfwilson

Asked by sfwilson at 2:43 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree weapons should be extinguished, however I also know that will never happen to it's entirety and also agree that since the dawn of time mankind has forged ways to harm each other. We're not animals we're often worse we're devious, deceptive and harmful to be around. Ridding the world of atomic weapons keeps nobody from running around, gathering the materials to make and use it behind everybody's back, just as getting rid of all weapons in say an entire country won't rid the country of "all" weapons it will merely rid weapons being held by police, army, or anybody for that matter that runs across some thug that snuck into the country or created a weapon meant to harm (yes you can create guns with the correct materials). Unless every human in the entire world destroyed weapons and agreed upon peacefully solving problems forever, then they just won't go away and there will always be a need to protect :-(
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 9:29 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• well i agree in someways but we are allowed to have guns...its our right....
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 2:44 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I think it's a stupid right that shouldn't include guns whose only use is killing people in quantity.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 2:45 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• More people are killed with cars than with guns. Your reasoning does not mean anything unless you are going to apply it to all of the other things that kill people. Guns do not kill people, people kill people! If someone else had had one around where that guy was, his rampage may have been stopped.
    Anonymous

• well i wouldnt go shooting and killing innocent people, but i will defend my consitutional right to own guns
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 2:47 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• your not from idaho huh :)
    casd

Answer by casd at 2:47 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Well we have guns for hunting, recreation, and home protection. I think that making them illegal would be worse because then they always get into the wrong hands! Drugs are illegal and people still get those just not smart people so if all the wrong people get them and they're banned what do we do with someone coming at us with one!? There was a shooting here at our local bar he shot two ppl before a guy with a ccw shot him and probably saved a lot of lives. I don't think it matter wether it's fully auto or semi auto, or a like a shot gun. Guns are guns the wrong people get them and people who are smart own one and know how to use it properly. I think before you're aloud to buy any gun you should have to take a course and learn to use it properly.
    Anonymous

• I totally agree. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should (own a gun).
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:50 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Zombies!!
    Anonymous

• I do not know.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 2:53 PM on Mar. 11, 2009