how to switch from a bottle to sippy cup?

my son just turned 1yrs old. I have been trying to transition from a bottle to a sippy cup since he was 6mo. I'm have a hard time getting him use to it. Any advice?

Dani-Girl

Asked by Dani-Girl at 2:45 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my kids were easy ... i let them play with the cup with some water for about a month prior to their one year and then at one year I just threw away the bottles and they only had the cup.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 2:54 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Ugh... there isn't an easy answer. When we were going through this process, I ended up buying a lot of different sippy cups to try. I would try them when my son was really thirsty for milk, so that he would be "tricked" into it. Sometimes it would work, sometimes it wouldn't. But always try a sippy before using a bottle. A bottle should be the last resort.
    Also, you could try using straw cups. That's what we use with my 18-month-old, and it's great. He'll sit up and drink it and some straw cups are non-leaking.
    I think the trick is to just try a variety and use them all the time. Good luck!
    happymama01

Answer by happymama01 at 3:02 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• If you get rid of the bottles, they can't use them anymore. That sounds heartless but it's the only thing that worked for us. We did have to try diff. sippy cups, though. The one my daughter finally took to was one with a straw (with a valve in it). She didn't drink quite as much milk right at first, but she adjusted after a little while.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:40 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• cold turkey...i think 6 months was too early though...
    ericadrian

Answer by ericadrian at 5:17 AM on Mar. 12, 2009