Does anyone know how to make an easter basket out of yarn or string glued to a balloon (then pop the balloon)?

I received one of these back in highschool from my boyfriend (over 20 years ago) and would love to try to make one. If anyone has done this I would appreciate step by step instructions.

finallyamom40

Asked by finallyamom40 at 2:57 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• wow I have never heard of anything like that. Sounds interesting though. I hope you find your information.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 2:58 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• It does sounds awesome. Did you try google? I love google...I always find what I'm looking for. Good luck!
    good2me

Answer by good2me at 3:29 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Here are instructions from ehow

http://www.ehow.com/how_2203745_easter-basket-string-balloon.html
    1mermaid

Answer by 1mermaid at 3:45 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• My mom did this! She took a medium sized balloon and blew it up, then wrapped colored crochet thread around and around and around it. She then dipped the wrapped ballon in a sugar starch many times, letting it dry between dippings, until it was hard. Then she popped the balloon. She covered an empty masking tape cardboard roll with ribbon or festive fabric and set the wide end of the balloon on that. She cut an oval hole in front side of the "egg", removed the balloon pieces, and glued decorative rick rack or ribbon around the opening. Fill with easter grass and it's all ready for the treats!
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:05 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• we did this! we made an easter bonnet one year too using the same method. just make sure your glue is totally dry before you pop the balloon.
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 4:13 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I did this with my kids years ago... it's fun and messy... You have to do it in advance due to drying time and prepping time etc. I used sugar water and flattened the bottom a bit when I popped the balloon. It looks like an egg... I used string...just the cheap cotton stuff... and sugar water. You can color the sugar water if you want... I just used color grass in the bottom and I let the kids make their own... it's unique then...
    RustysMom

Answer by RustysMom at 6:08 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• We did this in girl scouts...we dipped the yarn in laundry startch.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:20 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• YEAH! That was a craft when I was in 4th grade. I had alot of fun!
    materials
    1 balloon
    Yarn of your liking (I think pastel verigated would be great)
    1 sheet of wax paper
    1 8oz bottle of white gule
    1/2 cup water
    1 bowl for gule mixture
    1: Blow a balloon really big then tie it off
    2: Put a bunch of string in white glue water mixture 2:1 gule to water( make sure the string is totally soaked) I don't remember how much string we used.
    3: Start at the top of the balloon( the end opposite the tied off end) coiling the glue soaked thread as close as you can get the string to eachother until it is about half way up the balloon
    4: Then set it upside down on wax paper to dry takes about 12 hours then once it is dry pop the balloon and decorate to your liking
    lalasha

Answer by lalasha at 2:49 PM on Mar. 19, 2009