Transferring to a twin bed...what should I do!?

My daughter is 13 months old. I am expecting another baby in June. I am trying to get my daughter to sleep in a twin bed. She was fine for the first week, but then learned that she could get out of the bed.

I transferred her early because I don't want her to feel like the new baby is replacing her or taking her spot. At the same time I can't get her to sleep in the bed unless I sit there and make her take a nap or lay down with her (which results in tears).

What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:01 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• They make a toodler bed which works great. It has half rails on the sides and it is not as high or as big as the twin size. I found this to be a better transition for small children then the twin bed.
    I hope this helps.
    lonnieto

Answer by lonnieto at 3:06 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Frankly, try to find a second-hand crib. She is WAY too young for the freedom of a bed. What are you going to do when she discovers that she can get out of bed and play at 3am? As you've discovered, the draw of playing is making the naps go away at least a year (probably more) too soon. Soon, she will discover the "joys" of getting out of bed all evening long so she won't fall asleep until hours too late. Then she will discover the fun of playing without you around to take things away or say NO. Before long she will be able to drag chairs over to higher items - like front door locks - and she will have all night to figure out how to work them while you sleep. She also needs sleep for proper growth and health.

Baby proofing items are great. But read the package. They are designed to keep kids safe just long enough for you to spot the trouble and stop it. You can't do that if you are asleep.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:12 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I agree with kaycee14. I wouldn't put a 13 month old in a bed yet. That's just me. You also might start having some sleep problems where there weren't any before and you definitely don't want that with another one on the way. I would get another crib.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 3:33 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• It may be too early. I understand your concerns about the older child feeling replaced. Ours are 15.5 months apart so we worried about it too. But our toddler was doing so well sleeping in her crib we decided to leave her there and used a bassinet/pack n' play for the first few months with the new baby in our room. We were going to move her after that, but they're both doing so well in their respective cribs that we kept the little one in the pack n play which is now in her own room. I think now and then about trying to give her the crib, but they're both safe and sleeping well. Our 21 month old loves her crib and doesn't get out of it yet. A pack n' play isn't too terribly expensive and is a good investment if you don't have one already.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:37 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I think that's too young to be in a big-kid bed. You should try to find another crib, maybe get one second hand. It's not safe for a child that little to be able to get up and potentially have free unsupervised roam of their bedroom or the rest of the house. When you finally DO need to switch (another year from now) skip the toddler bed thing and get full length guard rails for the twin bed. Toddler beds are so dumb-they fall out of them just as easily because the "rail" on the toddler bed only guards them at their head, and that's IF they stay in one spot at all!
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 4:15 PM on Mar. 11, 2009