Daycare

We're considering putting our 6-month-old son into daycare for 18 hours a week. I am so against it, but I know it'll be good so my husband and I can both work. I am really scared that my son is going to like the daycare provider better than me since he's gone so much. Or that he'll forget that I'm his mom. How does your baby react when you pick him/her up? Are they really excited to see you? If my son gave me a huge smile, knowing that it was his mama coming to pick him up, it would make me feel so much better about it. I'm so scared he's going to cry because he's leaving the daycare provider!! Any thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:04 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My kids aren't in daycare because we can't afford it yet, but my mom had us in daycare from a really young age and I love her, I'm close to her, she's my mom, and I don't even remember those daycare providers names! With my first daughter, my husband and and I shared childcare responsibilities 50/50 because we were both writing dissertations... it was really hard on me to be away from her 3 full days a week, but she did fine with me gone. However, the smile she got on her face when I got home made it worth being away from her all that time. You're the momma. You don't have to worry about being replaced. Hopefully she WILL grow attached to her daycare providers. You want her to be happy, not miserable, when she's there. You want to know she's well taken care of and having her emotional needs met. Love isn't a zero sum game, and there's always love for the momma!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:29 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• My son was in daycare 3 days a week for 10 hours a day when he was an infant. He would light up the second he heard my voice. My Daughter is the same way. she to is in daycare now but only 2 days a week for 5 hours a day. No matter how awesome the daycare provider is she will be no substitute for you! Your baby will never love anyone the way he loves you even if you do feel the daycare sees more of him than you do!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:27 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I've worked in childcare for about 5 yrs now and are expecting at the end of march. i just wanted to tell you this is a huge change and experience for your family & with the odds your child will cry when being left with the daycare teacher or teachers and odds are you will cry too but once you are in the classroom ask the questions you wanted to ask and get your child involved in an activitity and if they do not show any interest ask the teacher to help also ask about calling to check on things* it will take your family and child a little time to get use to the idea of being away from their usual things during the day but also while you are at work dont stress and know your child is with people who are trained to be working there just like yourself and are giving him the care and love your child will need through out the day.
    angelkcm2

Answer by angelkcm2 at 4:38 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• But if your child is an infant at the time it may be the best time to do it for you and your family :)
    angelkcm2

Answer by angelkcm2 at 4:39 PM on Mar. 11, 2009