Teething.

How long after your LO started teething did he/she get their first tooth? My son is 3 1/2 months and has been teething since about 2- 2 1/2 mo's. Not concerned, just a new mom :]

KareemsMami

Asked by KareemsMami at 3:04 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There is really now way to know, every baby is different. At their young age it isn't necessarily teething. Babies put everything in their mouths, regardless of teething. And at their age they are also discovering their hands, by putting them in their mouth. A better determiner of teeth is genetics. I would look back at SO and yours baby books and see when your first teeth came. Your lo will probably follow suit. Don't rush it, you will never get that cute gummy smile back once teeth are in!

kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 3:15 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• My son has been teething since he was 2 1/2 months and he is now 6 months 1 week and still doesn't have a tooth. So, you could be waiting a long time. =)
    Anonymous

• I agree, there's no real way to know they're teething until after a tooth breaks through, because the drool and chewing happens for all babies around 2 1/2 to 3 months. Sometimes the fussy phases are due to teething, sometimes it's growth spurts and other developmental adjustments. My oldest got her first tooth at 5 months, my second doesn't have any yet at 6 months --she's a drool machine and gnaws on everything and has been having somewhat disrupted sleep, so I'm guessing she's working on one, but who really knows. Also my oldest never had any predictable sign that a tooth was coming it, they just sort of appeared.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:22 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I definitely believe he's teething because of the excessive drooling, biting down on my finger/hand when he grabs it and the fussiness until I give him teething tablets. I'm not worried or rushing though. I love his gummy smile :] Thank you for your input!
    KareemsMami

Answer by KareemsMami at 7:01 PM on Mar. 11, 2009