how do i deal with my two year old tantrums

My two year old crie and whines alot and sometimes when she is told it is nap time she will cry and not stay in bed..when I shut her bedroom door she pounds on it and screams...What do I do differently?

rieanm

Asked by rieanm at 3:10 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• be calm, and leave her in there until she falls asleep, its ok, they do this sometimes, to see if they can get a recation out of you and get away with it.. dont fall for it. pay no attention. and keep doing this until she realizes your not going to give in.
    Anonymous

• find a way to offer more option. Kids at that age are learning they can make choices and love to have the ability to make choices.

So instead of "Put your jacket on now so we ca leave."
    try: : "Do you want to wear your jacket to the car or carry it to the car and put it on whe we get [whereever you are going]?" same with shoes. A child will be fine walking barefoot to a car or without a jacket as long as there isn't snow/ below 35 degrees type weather. ( muddy puddles)

Instead of: "OK. Time to take a nap. let's go to bed."

try something like: "What music to you want to listen to at nap time today? How about choosing a CD now and it'll be ready for your quiet time."

Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 3:16 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• (CON'T)
    or: "Which of these books (only have a couple very short ones as options) do you want me to read to you to start your quiet time?"

call it 'quiet time' instead of naptime. tellher she just neeps to lay quietly in her bed for a while. the music and books will help her fall aslepp when she has relaxed enough
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 3:17 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

I completely agree with this one. My nieces and nephews do this crap and I just pick them up don't say a word and the eventually them learn that I will not give in.

jenniferlee_12

Answer by jenniferlee_12 at 3:31 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• My daughter did that, and when she started pounding on the door, without a word, I would pick her up and put her in her bed. I think it freaked her out that i wasn't talking to her, so after a couple times, she stopped.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 5:13 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• My 2 year old son tries that crap sometimes and I just spank him. he'll eventually get his butt back in the bed and gets quiet.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 6:32 PM on Mar. 11, 2009