Im alittle nervous. my doc said my next check up she will be going down below to check things out etc, what does that really mean? pap? im 37 weeks

angelkcm2

Asked by angelkcm2 at 3:22 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It means she will check your cervix. She will insert a couple fingers to check out how things are going. Don't worry it is not any worse than a pap.
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 3:23 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Just means that she will use her fingers to see how low the head is, if you are thinning and dialating. It is completely normal. I believe most docs will let you forgo it until 40 wks if you want. But is nice to know where you stand.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 3:24 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• you don't have to be checked if you don't want to be. knowing your "progress" or "status" may not mean a thing! I was dilated 2 cm for over a month and never went into labor. your cervix could be tight as a drum until a week after your due date and then all of a sudden you'll go into labor and it'll open right up! knowing if it's thinning or dilating might just get your hopes up unnecessarily and if you tell anyone in your family if you're dilated at all, they'll just hound you every day with phone calls asking "haven't you had that baby yet?!" and THAT gets annoying.
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 3:30 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Its just like the first post said. Dont worry its not painful, just a little uncomfortable. And you are so excited about knowing if the baby is getting closer to coming, that you really dont care anywho! ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:32 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• im such a baby when it comes to pain.or to just not knowing. thanxs to all who answered :)
    angelkcm2

Answer by angelkcm2 at 3:40 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I personally felt that it was muuuuuuuuuuuuuch easier than a pap

alli286

Answer by alli286 at 4:34 PM on Mar. 11, 2009