17 pound 4 1/2 mnth old normal??

every1 tells me my boy is "so big".is that fat or something?? he is in size 3 diapers.

saraelf

Asked by saraelf at 3:27 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When I look at the weight chart for Kaylee (on my home page) it shows that Kaylee was about 15-16lbs, so he isn't that much than she was.

Is he tall? Kaylee is in her 95% for height, maybe he is too. Tall kids weight a little more.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:29 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• As long as your doc isn't worried then disregard what others say. A little extra weight equals nice and healthy to me.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 3:31 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• My son was 13lb 6 oz at that time, but he was only in the 25th percentile. He was in the 90th percentile for height. I'm sure he's fine!
    Anonymous

• My daughter was large at birth: 9lb 8oz, and still big for her age. She was about 17lb at that age, too. I had her in overalls one day and an elderly man stopped me to say what a nice big boy she was, and wouldn't "he" make a nice football player one day, lol. I thought it was funny :D
    LyraLark

Answer by LyraLark at 3:45 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• He's small compared to mine.

As long as he's following his own growth curve and the doctor isn't worried. It's not like you have to worry so much about babyhood obesity.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:02 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• my son just turned 4 months old a few days ago..and the last time he got weighed he was at 15 pounds..he is very tall for his age..and my doctor told me my son is slightly on the skinny side..so its possable he is perfect for his length.
    .Beth.

Answer by .Beth. at 4:23 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• My son was the same weight. He is a little chunk but he is also tall. When they say BIG it doesn't really mean FAT... although your son is probably a little chunky too... but it's not meant as a bad thing.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:29 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• thanks all he is very tall for his age. he can cant fit in 6mnth clothes that have feet.
    saraelf

Answer by saraelf at 4:33 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• My friends baby is 8 months and weighs about 19 lbs. He is very healthy and his dr. is not concerned. He was only 7 lbs when he was born. When your baby starts crawling and walking he may also slim down, which was the case of my friends babygirl. Sorry, I can't give advice on my actual kids as they have all been on the small size but have many friends with babies.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 4:47 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• My son was 16 something pounds at 4 months...I'd say your son is fine. I always took it as a compliment when people would (and still do!) say he's big. Just reply and say "Thanks for noticing how healthy and well taken care of he is :)"
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 5:04 PM on Mar. 11, 2009