Is it really true

that newborns can recognize their mother by her scent? Have you ever noticed your LO get calm when you came closer to him/her to prove this? Or do you think they just love the human contact of being held?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• both
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 3:30 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Yeah, I think it's true. Maybe this is TMI but I always noticed what seemed like an abnormal amount of BO in the early days of nursing, and I always assumed that my hormones were making me smell stronger to help my baby get to know me. Ok that sounds gross but I don't think it is.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:32 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• yes it is definitely true, especially if you breastfeed!
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 3:34 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• yes right now i am trying to get my 8 month old to sleep in his own bed. he is fine and quiet until i need to go upstairs for something, then he screams blue murder and wants me to get him, even though he is desperately tired. he can smell me through a door and down the hall. and no i don't stink lol.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 4:10 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I recognize my mother's scent to this very day.

Don't you?
    Anjeey

Answer by Anjeey at 4:21 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• yes for sure... my son smells me at night when he wakes up (he's almost 8 months) if I go to him at night when he crys he requires I breastfeed him even if he's not hungry. He doesn't even open his eyes to see how picked him up!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:26 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• my dd does that too and she is also 8 mos. its like as soon as she smells me she knows im there especially when she wants to cuddle i grab her and her eyes are closed and she is snoring before my head hits the pillow
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 4:37 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Totally believe they know your scent. There have also been studies that have proven this and the other way around. Mothers can typically pick out their child while blindfolded just by scent. I think it is amazing!
    stacy77

Answer by stacy77 at 4:43 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• LOL. IT'S FUNNY YOU ASKED THAT...I USED TO MAKE FUN OF MY LO CAUSE SHE WOULD BURY HER HEAD NEAR MY ARM PIT... I WAS LIKE WTF?? "DOES SHE LIKE MY DEODORANT?!?!" BUT SHE WOULD DO IT EVEN WHEN I WASN'T WEARING ANY... EVERYONE HAS THEIR OWN SCENT. SO I FIGURED SHE JUST KNEW MINE. I PERSONALLY LOVE HOW MY HUSBAND SMELLS. W/O ANYTHING ON. SHE JUST HAS THIS SCENT TO HIM. IDK.IT'S OUR PHEROMONES I GUESS.
    honeybee88

Answer by honeybee88 at 9:26 PM on Mar. 11, 2009