Is this a bad idea?

Our son is 6 years old and very well behaved he's expecting his first sibling soon, and we want to get him a Nintendo DS as a gift, he never plays video games before. Is it a bad idea, will he be an addict and not listen anymore? I just want to give him this cause he's such a good kid and I know he'll be a wonderful older brother.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:37 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• My son is 5.5 and he got one for Christmas. He likes it sometimes, but will go for DAYS without playing it. He plays it mostly in the car. They can become addicted to it, I dont see that happening for a while with my son, but when and if it does we will give rules just like anything else we have. TV, movies, computer, ect.

I will suggest to get the game Carvival. Its his favorite game and its good for beginners.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:40 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I'm not a fan of video games, so I personally wouldn't get it.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:40 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Oh, forgot, I do think that would be a great gift for a new big brother! Congrats!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:41 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Instead of video games (since he's not into them yet), if he has his own bedroom or play space, why not allow him to update it with big boy things...new toys/thngs he's in to, repaint it, add new border paper/wallpaper, new bedding, etc, to emphasize that he's the big guy now! I'd buy him some books about being the big brother.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:42 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Sure, why not? My 2 yr old plays racing games on xbox360 w/his dad...no biggie...its not what you get him that will make him not listen anymore, its how you raise him. So go for it! Congrats on the new addition!
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 3:43 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• My niece got one for Christmas and won't take her nose out of it. She is 6.
    jenniferlee_12

Answer by jenniferlee_12 at 3:44 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• My son will soon be seven. He's like the first poster's kid. He mainly plays it in the car. We live three hours from family. Other than that he only plays it occasionally. If you get one, you could always limit the time he spends on it.
    lalli_lalli

Answer by lalli_lalli at 3:46 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I only allow educational video games...get him a Leapter instead :-)
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 3:47 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I think it would be a nice gift. Just have some guidelines in place before he gets it. You should decide ahead of time the types of games he will be allowed to have and also, there should be a time each time he plays and, make sure he understands that it's a privilege and not a right, that it can be taken away for bad behavior etc. I think he would be fine.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 3:48 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I did not read all of the answers but get it! It will be a nice gift and it will be a nice break for you if he plays that while you feed/change/hold your newborn.
    jspy72

Answer by jspy72 at 3:56 PM on Mar. 11, 2009