How many times a day does your 6 month old nurse?

I thought it was way too early for a predictable schedule, but is it?

EmilySusan

Asked by EmilySusan at 3:44 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My 5 month old still nurses 5 times a day. Every 3 hours and then sleeps about 12 hours at night. She also takes 3 naps a day 1-2 hours each and sometimes a 20 minute cat nap right before bed.

Her schedule is dependable, but she will change it and alter it here and there like all babies do.

I don't know if this helps what you're looking for or not.

julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 3:47 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Well my dd is 1 1/2 weeks away from 6 months. She still nurses every 2-3 hours...or more when she's in a growth spurt. She isn't on any solids except practicing with a teaspoon of rice cereal/milk every morning. At night she nurses at least 2-3 times.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:51 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Yeah that's definitely what I'm looking for. I have 2 daughters, I've always nursed both on demand, but both of them as babies always wanted to nurse about every hour and a half! Now I've been talking to people who wait about 3 hours between feedings, so I don't know if they're still doing it more or less on demand and their babies are demanding less, or if they've trained their babies to wait 3 hours between feedings.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:58 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• 6-8 times/day and still about the same at nearly 8 months.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:24 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Listen to your heart and your baby. No book or other mother can tell you what schedule is normal and what they should be on. Typical rule of thumb with nursing is to do so on demand and watch your baby's growth and attitude. My son set a pretty obvious schedule for himself at 6 months...it of course changed again after a while. :)
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 5:03 PM on Mar. 11, 2009