Letting God's plan play out....do people pick and choose which part of His plan they will allow?

Ok, this is based on women who can not conceive naturally. They use scientists and IVF to conceive their children. However when they find out they are carrying a litter of children, rather than selectively reducing the amount of children, they opt to "Let God's plan play out". This puts the remaining babies health and survival in jeapardy.

Does it appear hypocritical to say you're going to let God do His thing in one part but alter God's plan in another by using Science to get what you want? If you're going to let God have the upper hand in how the babies fair, wouldn't you have to assume that God didn't have you conceiving children in the first place as His plan??

This is not pointed at one specific person, or situation, just a thought I had. What are your thoughts?

munch12502

Asked by munch12502 at 3:45 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I see what you are saying, but they may believe, like I do, that God has a part in everything. And they may not have been able to get pregnant naturally, but when they did, did God not allow that? I do think a lot of people take only the words of God that work for them, but who are we to judge. To each their own.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 3:48 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I some what agree..I beleive there is a time we take it out of His hands in put it into man's. But, yes. I am not against infertily pills at all. IVF..getting storing...harvesting... At what point do we just pray and leave everything in God's hands. He does know what is best for us.
    heavenschild99

Answer by heavenschild99 at 3:48 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I think its role about faith God has a plan for everyone, if it is meant to be that you have kids and it is a desire in that family yea I absoultely think that it is gods plan! If not God has bigger and better plans! But its all about the Faith......
    ytapia

Answer by ytapia at 3:50 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• So if you have the desire to be a parent then you believe that is God's plan for you and he's given us the knowledge to figure out how to become pregnant when our bodies have an error that won't allow us to do so naturally?

But then with that as the foundation for what we determine as God's plan for us, wouldn't that leave open a lot of inappropriate things that we desire to become justified as 'God's will for us"?

I'm not disagreeing with you, but prompting for a little deeper thought on it as well. :)
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 3:57 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I have known women in my congregation that could not conceive and have had a group of intercessory prayer warriors to pray for them on that one matter. Sure enough they conceived. I also has known a couple to use IVF. It did matter either way, but the true miracle happened to the ones who had prayer.
    mommiejay453

Answer by mommiejay453 at 4:22 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I definitely see where you are coming from with this. I agree. I have given this kind of situation thoughts since the octuplet mom. I don't believe that God will allow anything to happen if it's not meant to. I also see it as why would God allow science and man to come up with IVF if that weren't meant to happen. But if I could not get pregnant I would just pray about it, if it never happened then I would adopt probably. If it is not in God's plan for me to conceive and birth a child naturally then I am not going to do it artificially.
    vikaroo18

Answer by vikaroo18 at 5:12 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Yes it is hypocritical. G-d never intended for people to have so many babies. It doesn't happen naturally. All those arguments about nature and G-d's will are nothing but justifications for selfish decisions.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 5:13 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Yet another good point and reason I'm Agnostic..
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 8:51 PM on Mar. 11, 2009