HOSPITAL! HOW CAN I GET ADMITTED FOR A COUPLE DAYS?

just curious, what are some reasons that one might be able to convince a doctor in the ER to admit them into a regular hospital for a day or 2?

I have been running a low grade fever on and off since my son was born in December. they have done ultra sounds, all kinds of blood work, cultures etc, cat scans, THEY KEEP COMING UP WITH NOTHING!
I Am taking tylenol for the fever but ive been taking it so long its starting not to work.
I asked my doctor a few weeks ago to refer me to an infectionest disease specialist , which he won't do. I might call and ask again today but really dont want to hear NO i feel really, really bad to the point its hard to get out of bed what can I say to be admitted somewhere or to have them refer me ? I am losing hope and starting to feel like I am never going to get better and our health care system doesnt give a !@#$@

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:54 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Health

• I have always been told if you go in complaining of chest pain that they will automatically keep you overnight until tests are run. I'm not 100% sure of that-- have never personally done it!
    Anonymous

• maybe a different doctor's opinon? in that practice or another practice?
    Anonymous

• I would go see another doctor and see if they will refer you. Did you have a csection?
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:59 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• but stuff like that raises your own price of care drastically. my insurance only pays for admimttance through emergency room if true life death emergency. if your fever is really low grade in the 100's plus no tell tale sign in bloodwork, doubt they'll keep you. I'd try a different dr.
    Anonymous

• There is nothing you can SAY that will keep you held overnight. If you go with Anon #1's suggestion of complaining of chest pain, you go in, they run blood work to check your cardiac enzymes, they find nothing, they do an EKG, find nothing, do a chest x-ray, find nothing, you get sent home with a large ER bill.

I recommend finding a different doctor that will take your complaints more seriously.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 4:01 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I agree with the others who say to find a doctor who will take you seriously. The ER or hospital isn't going to do anything a private doctor wouldn't do. They are only interested in stabilzing you enough to go home.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 4:04 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• A second opinion would be better and cheaper than going to the hospital, IF you are admitted, the hospital will not run any test or do anything for you or to unless your Dr. orders them and from what you have said he already has order and completed the normal test to rule out things, so the admission will not show anything unless you have a different Dr. Plus the hospital is the last place you want to be unless you are really sick, MRSA, bacterial infections are very high in the hospital setting. A second opinion would be a good place to start, if they find nothing also; could you be experiencing postpartum depression? Mental disorders can trigger physical symptoms. Alot of moms experiance PPD. I hope you find your answers and feel better soon.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:07 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Tell them you are suicidal and are planning on overdosing as soon as you leave.
    Trust me, you will get at least 72 hours of rest in an overnight hospital stay.
    ;)
    Anonymous

• The above answer probably not a good one......they will put you in a mental institute.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I work in a hospital and 2 not to good answers from 2 anon people I would not go for. Complaining of chest pain may get you in faster but if the ER is full they will do a quick ekg and if there is nothing wrong you will sit and wait in the waiting room until it is your turn and chest pain will not get you a stay overnight if all of your tests come back normal and saying you are suicidal will get you in the behavioral health unit but telling them any of your symptoms in that unit and they will not take you seriously. I would find another doctor and get a second opinion and I don't know if you need a referal for your insurance company but if not call an infection disease specialist and schedule an appointment for yourself. Good luck to you
    deedees77

Answer by deedees77 at 11:39 AM on Mar. 12, 2009