How would you recommend to displine with out spanking or screaming?

I want to show my kids the right way, God is the answer to these problems? Its hard when u come as a new christian believer and before never showed that love displine and now correct it. How is that possible? Any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:00 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• how about taking away their things and have them earn them back 1 at a time?
    Anonymous

• Are you wanting to know how to Bibicaly discipline your children without spanking them? Aren't Christians the ones who use the phrase "spare the rod, spoil the child"?

Anonymous

• It depends on their age, the child's personality and what they've done. Time out, grounding, taking away things/privelages, adding extra work/chores. I'm all for spanking but not screaming. And they need to clearly know what they did wrong and why they are being punished.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 4:14 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I did not spank or yell. I have taken toys away and given them back one at a time. Then as they got older, no computer, phone, TV ect.. I can not tell you not to spank but IMO that does open the doors for taking corporal punishment to abuse.
    Anonymous

• We do spank, but it's a punishment that's handed out daily or anything. We use time-out often or even just the threat of time-out many times is enough to keep our son from acting out. We also reward good behavior. So many times I forget to make a big deal when things are going well and planned and I have to remind myself to make an even BIGGER deal out of those instances than when my son is acting out. I think positive reinforcement works much better than punishment, though punishment is something that must be dealt out accordingly as well. Just make sure you focus on the good more than the bad. For every one negative comment, try to make sure you're saying ten positive comments to your child.
    MommyToSmeech

Answer by MommyToSmeech at 4:18 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Whoops, I meant "it's not a punishment that's handed out daily or anything."
    MommyToSmeech

Answer by MommyToSmeech at 4:19 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Thats not bad advice MommyToSmeech. : )
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:24 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I can count on one hand the number of spankings we gave. We both felt awful when we did spank. So we had to get creative and gave a lot of postive reinforcement. It worked out a lot better for us than spankings. I don't think telling another parent they are wrong for spanking is the right thing, spankings turned out to be the wrong thing for my family. : )
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:28 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• First, It is not biblical not to spank you child. The bible says in Proverbs 22:15 "Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction will drive it far from him" That being said I think you should discipline the child according to their personality. Some children only need talking to and others won't get it until you swat them on the bottom a couple of times. Every child is different.
    mommiejay453

Answer by mommiejay453 at 4:28 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• We have an unspankable child. It doesn't work for him. We've tried a few times when he's gotten over the top, and it just makes him more stubborn.
    What does work for him - taking things away for a set period of time, taking away story time (pain worse than death, this is our last resort), and things specific to what he's supposed to do. If he's supposed to pick up his room and won't, we bring in a garbage bag to "throw it all out." He's tried testing us by saying, "I don't care" and then changed his mind when we called his bluff (he didn't notice we were mainly throwing out stocking stuffer and party favor type toys first).
    Another option is telling him you'll call someone he never wants to disappoint - grandpa when he was alive, or his teacher. If he won't do something in the morning, all I have to do is threaten to tell his teacher why he's late and he moves twice as fast.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:42 PM on Mar. 11, 2009