Does it bother you more when you see a 16 year old mother with a newborn or a 46 year old mother with a newborn?

Since we're on the topic of "teen pregnancy" vs. "adult pregnancy" today, what bothers you more? Young mothers who may or may not be able to raise their child(ren) due to their age or old mothers who may or may not be able to raise their child(ren) due to their age? Teens have problems such as maturity and finances to tackle and elderly mothers have problems such as health and energy to tackle. So which is worse? Can both be successful and be beneficial for baby, can just one or the other, or can neither?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:05 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• I can't say one is worse or better. They are totally different. What bothers me is attitude, from either. The 16 year old that thinks they know it all or just doesn't care, the older mom who has a baby just because she can. Neither one has considered the implications for that baby. Both have difficulties and challenges.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 4:26 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• 46 is elderly? I would much rather see a 46 year old rather than a 16 year old. It is too hard on the mother and the child for her to still be growing up while trying to raise a baby.
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 4:07 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Both can be successful but I they think both take more work than the average aged mother. And older mother really has to concider that her health may fail sooner than she thinks. She has to stay up on what her children at different ages (especially tween/teens) are going through instead of being out of touch. Thats one thing I saw from kids with older parents, they were so out of touch with what their child was into.
    But in the end either one can be a better or worse parent. Age doesn't have to be the main factor.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 4:08 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Is 46 elderly, LOL!!! 16 would bother me more, and that 16 year old will not know why until she is much, much older. Teen mothers can complain all they want about older moms having opinions about their age, but what they don't understand is that with age comes wisdom. Plain and simple. It is really really true. I'm not saying some teens aren't good mothers, I'm just saying that if I had a room full of 46 YO moms and a room full of 16 YO moms, I'm going with the 46YOs as being, on the whole, better mothers.
    Anonymous

• Not my concern unless I am either 16 or 46 and I am neither!
    Anonymous

• I don't think either would be the best option. I had my son at 18 and we do just great, but I know that is not typical, so I wouldn't suggest any teen mothers to run out and get pregnant like I did. Then again my MIL is 47 and I could never imagine her keeping up with my son all day, so I don't think that would really be a great option either that I would run out and suggest.
    MommyToSmeech

Answer by MommyToSmeech at 4:13 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• non of my business
    Anonymous

• If I had to choose I would say the 46 year old mother because in school-aged years she will not be able to relate to her children. These two ages may have obvious issues with being a mother, but every mother has challenges and issues to overcome, its part of the package, no matter the age. I had my son at 18 and trust me I have seen mothers in their 20s and 30s in the doctors office and grocery store with just as many problems. Children make mothers grow up no matter the age and just because some moms are older or of the "normal" childbaring age, does not mean they know more about being a mother or are a better mother, not always the case.
    Anonymous

• What bothers me the most about this question is the 46 being elderly thing! I just want to say, I am not!!!!!! I have seen a lot on here today about different age pregnancys. It seems too much is being put on age. You can be a great mom at 16 and a bad one at 46 or a great one at 46 and a bad one at 16.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 4:36 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Teens definitely! 46 is not as old as it used to be! I know several mothers myself who had their kids somewhere inbetween 40 and 45. Some of them even had a whole mess of kids before that pregnancy! I do have to say though that the mothers I do know that are having kids in thier forties are very healthy and have more energy than I'll ever have!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 5:04 PM on Mar. 11, 2009