Induction?

can you request to be induced after 38 weeks?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:14 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I was induced at 39 weeks. I had not been in labor at all - I went from 0 to 100 just like that! My labor was quite easy, actually - only lasted about 7 hours and I only pushed for about 40 minutes. Induction is a mother's choice; sometimes it works out easy and simple & sometimes it's dangerous and can be horrible. Just talk to your doctor and make the best choice for you. With my next baby, I plan to go as long as I possibly can! I was only induced with my daughter because they thought I had toxemia (I didn't) but since I was at the hospital and checked in, they went ahead and took her! GOOD LUCK
    mommaruth07

Answer by mommaruth07 at 4:19 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• If there is a medical problem.
    Anonymous

• Sure, you can request to do anything you want. However, it's the decision of your doctor whether or not they will induce you.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 4:15 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• why the hell would u want to? Let the baby come when ready and not because you can't wait to see your precious baby or just too uncomfortable. Plus you have more of a chance getting a c-section.

Anonymous

• yeah u can
    jenniek510

Answer by jenniek510 at 4:16 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• you can, but i personally wouldnt. An induction can be very hard on you especially if you havent started to go into labor yet. your labor will be much much longer and much more painful. The longer you wait the better off you are, i know youre anxious, but its better to wait
    Anonymous

• You can, but its still up to your doctor whether or not he/she will actually do it.

A lot of doctors won't even start talking induction until after you're past 40 weeks, and for good reason: At 38 weeks, you're not even overdue yet. Technically, you've still got 2 weeks to go before you're overdue.

Inductions aren't fun, and they're much more painful that letting labor start naturally on its own. Trust me, I know. My first labor was induced, and I didn't have enough knowledge about birthing procedures or the guts to speak up against being induced. But I do now, and would NEVER do it again.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 4:18 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• These answers are spot on--yes, you can request it but it is up to your doctor. And why would you want to? Generally speaking, an induction has stronger & harder contractions & has a higher chance of C-section or other medical intervention. That being said, if all else is normal, you can ask your doctor about the more natural tricks of induction--spicy foods or having sex (you can google & find others). No guarantee they will work but it can be a lot of fun trying!!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 4:19 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• yes you can medical problem or not you can but if the dr doesnt feel its right then they wont really go for the idea but you can always ask
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:23 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• instead of asking for an induction, ask your Dr. to scrape the membranes. Mine did and within an hour i was contracting and dialating. 10 hours later... Baby.
    luvMIIsk8rBoi

Answer by luvMIIsk8rBoi at 6:13 PM on Mar. 11, 2009