Do you know the difference?

Do you know the difference between an AUTOMATIC weapon and an ASSAULT weapon? Do you know which of the two is illegal to own? If you don't, have you bothered to look into it before making up your mind about gun control issues?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 4:15 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Nope, Sammygrl, it's #1.
    Automatics have been highly controlled since the late 20's. Restrictions were made even tighter in the 60s. Very, very few people can own them and they have to undergo extensive background checks and register them. Bad guys don't bother.
    Assault weapons is a made-up term. It's used to "classify" any "scary looking" guns. Is it black? Does the stock (the part that goes against your shoulder) have a special, basically decorative, hole for your thumb? Those are the main qualifications. It doesn't matter how big or small the bullet. How fast or slow. How fast it is to fire. How expensive to own. All that matters is what it LOOKS like. Don't believe me? Take a look at any of the California laws that restrict them. All of the laws either list cosmetic items or list the guns by name.

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:38 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Are you capable of asking anything without being condescending?
    Anonymous

• No, I don't know, and it doesn't matter to me, I personally am against *all* guns. Shoot, (no pun intended), I won't even buy my kids water guns.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:20 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Hmm wondering why you see this as condescending?
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:21 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• NotPanicking thinks she is WAY SMARTER than anyone on this site. Using BOTHERED is unneccessary and makes your question seem rude....just a tip
    Anonymous

• doesn't matter to you but you are prefectly willing to try and take away the right that the majority of americans want to keep
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:22 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

Are you capable of answering with your actual fake user name that's not even your real life name?

It's obvious from the other thread that there are people who do not, I'm simply asking who does and who doesn't. Are you somehow insulted because perhaps you are one of those who doesn't know yet has an opinion on the subject anyway?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:22 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• oh anon stop being so sensitive and easily offended.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:23 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I think notpanicking brings up a good point.

Too often our biased opinions cloud our judgment and we CHOOSE not to look at the specifics of a particular story because it feeds into our personal agendas.

For example: I hate guns. I have no use for guns. People don't need guns. People who own guns are horrible people. People that own guns intentionally kill innocent people. etc.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:24 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• A gun is a gun, I don't need to know the difference.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:24 PM on Mar. 11, 2009