How to get kids to stop wetting the bed at night?

I have a 5 year old daughter and a 3 year old son, every night I have to put them both in Pull-ups to go to sleep, My daughter still wets the bed from time to time however it is not very often. My son on the other hand wets quite often. Is there any advice you have on how to get them to stop wetting the bed?

hotmamaof2again

Asked by hotmamaof2again at 4:19 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• i make my son use the bathroom about 2 hours before. then he gets nothing to drink until he is about to lay down, and then it is only a little bit, maybe 2 or 3 ounces. He then has to go potty right before he lays down. For a while, I would wake him up when I went to bed and have him go potty again. I also had his sleep naked so instead of peeing all the way, he would just tinkle and wake himself up and go the rest of the way in the toilet. The only draw back to that is now he will only sleep naked! Good Luck
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 4:25 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• The three year old may need pullups at night for a little while. I don't see a problem with it. My six year old son has issues occasionally like your daughter. I just make sure when I go to tuck him in that he gets up and uses the toilet right before I turn the lights off. That really has helped, it seems like any accidents he has had since was because it slipped my mind the night before to have him go. Good luck!
    lalli_lalli

Answer by lalli_lalli at 4:29 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• 3 is still a bit young, as he gets older he will learn to wake up and use the bathroom or hold it til morning. to help you can cut out drinking an hour or so before bed and have him go to the bathroom before laying down...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:05 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• My oldest son wore pull ups until he was 51/2. his bladder just wasn't mature enough. My 4 year old son still wears pull ups for the same reason. I didn't stress at all about it so they were fine . Both your kids will get it. It's only at night, and u dont have to stress about letting them have drinks and they don't have to feel pressure about not peeing in their pull ups. Just my opinion though.. good luck
    fbic72

Answer by fbic72 at 8:08 PM on Mar. 11, 2009