Why do some doctors induce labor when there are no risks?

I'm reading about moms that are 35 36 37 wks pregnant and their doc is scheduling them to be induced?? For no reason, no risk..?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Because its their perogative. You're not 'required' to be overdue to be induced, just like you can have an elective C-section.

I mean, you may not agree with it, but its not necessarily 'wrong'. To each her own.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 4:23 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• because alot of moms want to be it is not always the drs saying ok we are going to alot of mothers want to be enduced period
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:25 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• i was induced at about 38-39 weeks but i had strep b and they wanted to make sure i got the meds before i had the baby.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 4:26 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• before getting induced/ elective c-section... woman should educate themself... Child birth is a normal part of life! Through the vagina. that is how its sappose to be!! Simple...When you turn to science & away from nature you are taking a risk!
    Anonymous

• So, what happens if you CAN'T deliver vaginally, like in my case, where my pelvis is too narrow?

What then? Just let the mother and baby die in childbirth, instead of saving both via C-section?
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 4:38 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• im being enduced anon and guess what that means she is coming out of my vagina she is going to be big and befor eyou preach that tired bull big babies can be a reason to enduce even more so if you have a history of a large baby getting stuck if they get stuck they CAN die some women cant have big babies period i dont see why people have a big beef about enductions its not your body your baby then dot freakin worry about it
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:39 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Mrs.Owen86, I agree. I mean, its not like vaginal deliveries are COMPLETELY safe either.

It really just annoys me when mothers tout one kind of delivery over another, like one is better that the other. Um, hello....isn't the point to have a safe healthy delivery for mom and baby? I didn't know that vaginal deliveries were so much BETTER than C-sections...gee, what rock was I hiding under? Let me take my inferior self and my inferior kids away, because I don't deserve to be in the presence of such SUPERIOR moms and kids delivered vaginally. *Rolls eyes*
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 4:45 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• i know how you feel my first got stuck on the way out he was almost 9 lbs and im like 10 times bigger this time and she is estimated to be about 10 -11 lbs so they are enducing me 15 days early to try to avoid a csection and to try to avoid her getting stuck like my son did some people just need to realize they may not agree with it but some times it is needed yes mothers 100 years ago didnt have all this but how many mothers and babies died because of birth ? i just dont understand some people
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:48 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• In my area, the hospital is poorly staffed and nothing is changing. So, the doctors decided to take matters into their own hands and start scheduling birth as best they could. They will induce women one week before their due date. The time it out as best they can to try and avoid overcrowding in this hospital. They were having problems with lack of rooms, lack of nurses, etc. They had women delivering babies on the dang floor because they didn't have enough rooms and bed. It's pathetic that this hospital is allowed to keep their doors open but they do. So, they induce a week early, give or take a day or two. If they are over 38 weeks, they are considered full-term anyway. I know this sounds silly but it has actually saved lived in our area. Mothers weren't getting the care they needed and the next closest hospital is almost 2 hours away.
    Anonymous

• I have heard similar stories to what the anon above me said. Sad...
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 4:59 PM on Mar. 11, 2009