Do you feed your newborn every three hours at the time the finished eating or the time they started?

Lucky8785

Asked by Lucky8785 at 4:34 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• the 3 hour rule is just a guideline, I feed when baby is hungry, I dont care if its 1 hour since last feeding or 4 hours, you will learn your baby and know what cry is for what need, but in general if it has been a few hours since last feeding and they are fussy and not wet; chances are good they are hungry... try to write down the feeding times to get an idea of when baby might want to eat, it will give you a better understanding but the growth spurts will throw that off at times. If you are breastfeeding the 3 hour thing is not likely to happen at this age, Breastfed babies will nurse more frequent. I wish you the best mom, and congrads on the new baby
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:40 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• From the time they start. this is what the nurses at my hospital taught me and it works like clockwork. And mine was every 2 hours.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 4:35 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• You go from the time they start.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 4:36 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• It would be from the time they start. I tended to feed on demand, though. It ended up being every 3 or 4 hours.

Answer by Bmat at 4:40 PM on Mar. 11, 2009