Newborn side sleeping

My newborn will not stay on her back. when I put her down, she rolls onto her side. Is this safe? I'm worried about Sids, but she will not stay on her back. I don't want to use any of the wedge products because I've read that they're not necessarily safe for Sids and haven't been studied or tested.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:53 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm pretty sure it's safe, As long as she is breathing properly, i don't see a problem.
    Anonymous

• my DD did this for the first month she slept on different sides.. eventually she moved to back sleeping. It is fine
    amber325

Answer by amber325 at 6:11 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• That is fine. You put her to bed on her back, and then if she rolls onto her side that is fine!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:22 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I think it's totally safe. In fact if there is any spitting up going on at night it will just roll down on to her sheet instead of back down her throat. My dd did that as a newborn for a few nights too. My mom suggested rolling up a receiving blanket and putting it behind (length wise) to prop the baby up a little, the hospital pediatrician also suggested that. I never tried it but I'm sure in some situations it would help.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 6:49 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• All three of my babies would only sleep on their sides. With my first, we used a wedge (in 1998 it was recommended), our second we would lay her on her side w/0 a wedge and she stayed that way (born 2004) and our son (2008) we would put on his side and would roll onto his stomach. Otherwise they would wake up after about 30 minutes, on their sides or stomach they slept several hours. Our Dr. said OK since they were at low risk for SIDS (no smoking in the home, no respiratory problems, etc..)
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 6:54 PM on Mar. 11, 2009