Snatching food

We recently adopted a 3 year old Beagle. He is very sweet, but is really bad about snatching food from my little boy. I don't know much about his history. He was abandoned at the pound. How do I teach him not to do this?

Momtocccd

Asked by Momtocccd at 4:54 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Pets

• I took our dog for a training class at PetSmart. He learned come, sit, lay (down), etc. He is six years old now and will still snatch unless we are very firm. We have him come (which includes sit) and I say "gentle... gentle" and I hold the food at my chest, until I know he's really listening. Then I say "gentle" as I move the food closer. If I see him start to move, I pull it back and say "unh uhn gentle". Then he takes it very carefully. If we're not careful, he'd take part of our finger out of fascination with the food! I'm still not crazy about the kids giving him things, but Alex loves to, and even occassionally gives him things he's not supposed to have. I call them the partners in crime!
    jjamom

Answer by jjamom at 5:58 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I set up my "counter surfing" dog. I bought some bitter apple spray and sprayed a piece of food and left it where I thought she might take it. haha. It was funny, really. It worked, and she was not pleased with the flavor, she hasn't done it again since.
    AngelaSue1979

Answer by AngelaSue1979 at 3:11 PM on Mar. 12, 2009