One year old trantrums

My sister (Katie) is a stay at home mom, her daughter is 13 months old, every time Katie leaves Camyrns sight she screams like crazy, Katie has tried everything she can think of, like letting her cry but she either doesn't stop screaming until Katie comes back or screams until she falls alseep, Katie is afriad to go out place because if she puts her down like in a high chair or grocery cart, she screams, Katie is getting very stressed out, she doesn't know how else to handle the situation. I do watch my niece about once a week, she does scream for awhile after Katie leaves, but usually calms down after about 1 hour or so, and starts to play with my son, we've talked about more days me watching her, but I dn't know if thats what best either. If anyone as other suggestions I would LOVE to hear them PLEASE and Thank you!

sdierker

Asked by sdierker at 4:58 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I feel her (and your) pain. My son was like that I couldn't leave him with his father to run to the store for milk without him screaming, couldn't take a shower with out him IN the shower with me, couldn't hand him over to Gramma without tears. I also worked daycare with 6 week to 3 year olds for 8 years, so I have been on both sides of it, and am sorry to say the best thing she can do is just reassure her that mommy is right here/ will be back soon every time there is a separation. When she drops her off somewhere the best thing to do is leave quickly and ONCE as a mom it is so hard to leave your crying baby that moms go back to say goodbye again and that is the WORST thing to do. Kids are smart, your niece has learned that if she screams Mommy stays or picks her back up. She has to just be consistent, let the meddlers in the grocery store say what ever they want and be consistent in telling her she is fine in the cart, etc.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 5:10 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Totally feel your pain.
    With Missy I just kept giving her time without me and shes doing pretty good about it right now.. WE always tell her bye and all that.. shes waiting fro us when we get back but shes usually not screaming GOOD LUCK
    roseakasis

Answer by roseakasis at 8:04 PM on Mar. 11, 2009