How much...

I babysit a 19 month old (my cousins child) when I first started watching him it was only going to be for a few weeks its been 6 months and all she is paying me is $65 a week I feed him 2 meals and a snack and a extra snack to take home (the mother says he needs one on the way home) I watch him 9 hours a day He is a little behind others his age (he does not talk or feed himself) I have taught him some sign language I was wonder whats the best way to ask for at least $10 more a week??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:07 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• If you watch him 5 days a week- I would tell her that your getting screwed and you want to be recieving 157 a week. That is 3 dollars an hour. I think thats fair.
    Mama2Mase

Answer by Mama2Mase at 5:11 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• My sitter always put it to us as that with prices for everything going up, in order for her to keep watching the kids, she needed to raise her rates to X per week. She would tell us usually 2-4 weeks in advance and tell us that she understood if we needed to find someone else to take care of our kids. She was, of course, the cheapest one around, great with the kids, etc., so no one ever did. I would think, unless she's incredibly selfish, she should understand and be willing to pony up. Good luck!
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 5:31 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Wow! I would speak up and tell her how you feel. Your already saving her $ by not sending her child to daycare. I watch a friends daughter 2 days a week for $140 a week and she is here 9 hours. If you google babysitting rate in your area then you can show he how unpaid you are!
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 5:35 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I would talk to the county and see how much the average rate is for daycare and the average meal cost is. You are getting ripped off.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 5:57 PM on Mar. 11, 2009