Husband....

My husband works the 3-11 shift so we never eat dinner together. I feel bad for him because he always eats cold cut sandwiches for dinner, because that's what I always pack him. I need some ideas of food that I can prepare then pack for him. Meals that are easily stored in a fridge at work and then reheated fast. I'm not a very good cook and I'm not creative so any ideas would be great! I just feel bad cause he never gets a good meal from me, it would be nice to surprise him, but I don't usually cook for myself I usually go to my moms and eat dinner!

kaylan010

Asked by kaylan010 at 5:17 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Relationships

• My husband takes in chicken and rice a lot. A lot of times he takes the canned spaghetti and meatballs which aren't all that bad. Have him bring some bread and butter and he has a little meal there. He's taken in Pork Chops and applesauce. I think the chicken and rice is the fastest and easiest to cook. It tastes just as good reheated too. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• scalloped potatoes and ham. baked spaghetti, homemade chicken noodle soup, chili, homemade pizza, chicken breasts, really ANYTHING can be reheated and still be good!
    Mama2Mase

Answer by Mama2Mase at 5:23 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Hello,
    My hubby also works that shift and we never eat together , but I do make him a lunch/dinner.
    Sometimes I will drive to his work and deliver his dinner. But if you have a crock pot, you can do a pot roast, and then drain it after it cooks, and then the next day for lunch get a hoagie roll and some BBQ sauce and make it into abrisket sandwich, it's really good!, you can look up some recipes online, just type in easy crock pot recipes.
    Also, I have done meat loaf, and thent he next day I make a meatloaf sandwhich, these are my Hubby's FAV!
    if you have any other ?s just message me!
    rubyredmomma

Answer by rubyredmomma at 5:25 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• You can make him Beans and Rice, its simple and easy. Just buy some can beans(Goya kidney beans or store brand are good) and make some rice on the side. Just make sure you drain the can beans and rinse it with water, than put a little oil in a frying pan, put the beans in, add water and seasoning and let it boil for a few minuetes.

Another easy meal is spagetti, make it one day and he can take it for lunch two days in a row. I hope you find these helpful. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• Chicken Parmesan is easy to make and great reheated!
    Buy a package of chicken breasts
    Rinse and arrange in glass baking dish
    Pour tomato sauce over chicken
    Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes
    Sprinkle shredded Mozzarella cheese over the chicken at about 25 minutes into baking. Bake for 5 minutes longer--or until cheese is melted.

While the chicken is baking you can make the pasta/spaghetti. When dividing up into plastic travel containers...put the cooked and drained pasta on the bottom, chicken on top, and add a little extra sauce and cheese!

You could also vary this recipe and use Alfredo sauce instead of tomato sauce, try different pastas or tortellini, and/or coat the chicken by dipping in melted butter or beaten eggs, and then rolling in a mixture of grated Parmesan cheese and seasoned bread crumbs.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:29 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• My husband works they same "type" of shift and I always make more food then we will eat, and send it with him the next day.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 5:45 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• what does he like to eat? Fix him that.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:06 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• When you are having dinner at your mom's can you grab a little bit to pack in his lunch? I used to do the exact same thing. My sis and I would have dinner together every night. I would set aside a whole meal for him and send it with him the next day. He LOVED it. Men don't care if they eat leftovers.
    Raegy

Answer by Raegy at 6:12 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• My husband also has that shift, and honestly I always just stay up and cook him a meal at 11 pm (I know, weird schedule, but it works for us). I try to find quick things to make that he can also take for lunch the next day as leftovers. Pork chops are great - they are quick and make good sandwiches the next day, as does steak. I also make burgers (fajita burgers are great - its a Rachel Ray recipe that is fantastic) which are quick and easy and re-heat wonderfully. We do ham steaks and beans, and home-made pizza, and toasted sandwiches (basically just like Quiznos but home-made)... There are lots of options out there (I like a PP suggestion about chicken Parmasian... I think I'm gonna try that!!!), you just have to have a little creativity!
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 6:26 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• All of the ladies have a great ideal just throwing this out there you could also buy him some TV dinners. The only reason I say that is because you said you don't like to cook. Hungry Man works at our house and my husband takes chicken pot pies theirs your meat bread and veggies all at one time however he might need to take 2 of them
    rachabro

Answer by rachabro at 8:55 PM on Mar. 11, 2009