son birth father wants to drop his rights. and my husband wants to adopt him. does the birth father have to drop his rights first before my husband can adopt him?

please i need help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:21 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• yes
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 5:22 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Yes. I believe it all happens in one swoop.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 5:24 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• yes he has to give up ALL rights to your child before anyone adopts your child
    Anonymous

• Yes he needs to give up all rights and your DH needs to apply to adopt him. Good luck and I hope it works out
    Momma2beauties

Answer by Momma2beauties at 5:26 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Yes. But you need to look into the laws of your state first. In my state a parent cant just decide not to be a parent any more just bc someone else will take on that responsibility. ...so look into it. and good luck!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:28 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• the father doesn't want anything to do with the child. thanks ladies!
    aborden

Answer by aborden at 5:31 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Yes but most of the time its all done in the same process both my sister and I had this with our fathers
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 5:49 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• cause they are saying that my husband has to adopt him first
    aborden

Answer by aborden at 5:52 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Get a lawyer. A good one will be able to have this done all in one session. Yes, the bio dad has to give up his rights, it would be good if he has had no contact with the child for many months. If he's doing it just for financial reasons then the judge might not agree. You also have to prove that the adopting father has had more interaction with the child and is financially able to assume responsibility. The adopting father cannot legally adopt the child until the bio dad gives up rights.

My hubby did this for my two oldest children. We hired a lawyer and he had no problems getting everything taken care of in one session before a judge.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 6:01 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Yes the biodad has to either

A) voluntarily give up his rights or

B) (Time frame varries by state) have either no contact for a year or no support for a year or in some states both, in some states this is 6 months - then you can try to file for TPR with a good lawyer and it may work
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 9:39 PM on Mar. 11, 2009