How do you feel about scholarships for college based only on ethnicity?

I'm just wondering do you think it's fair or unfair if someone who was born and raised in America (white) has to pay full college (you know what that can be 50, 70k on up), but then someone born in another country who moves here and lives, they get it paid in full?

Fair/no fair, how do you feel?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:21 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I totally don't agree with it. I believe it fuels racism and only seperates us farther. People are people and should be treated as such regardless on the color of thier skin. I believe if a scholarship is offered it should go to the most deserving and it shouldn't matter if they are white black yellow green purple or blue. "All men are created equal" remember
    trevsrockinmom

Answer by trevsrockinmom at 5:34 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Not fair. It wrong, wrong, wrong.
    Anonymous

• its stupid, trying to fill the student slots based on nationality rather than smarts is not doing any "minority" any favors in the long run, they will just expect special treatment.
    Anonymous

• It's racist.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:24 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I hate that and it really makes me angry. I say this all the time even about people who are in America and adopting children from other countries. Help America before helping other countries!!!!! Seriously, there are so many Americans that are in poverty and their kids could use the money to go to college, but since they don't get it they just don't go to college. This is an issue I think America really needs to work on!
    VasquezFamily

Answer by VasquezFamily at 5:24 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• its all wrong but apparently people who are white or born in this country dont deserve the same education as someone that was born of a different race
    Anonymous

• I think it is racists, and segregating. Why should those that want equal rights get special educatuion?
    Anonymous

• That is because if it's white you have to make it work harder and tax it higher.
    Anonymous

• It's condescending. It implies that a minority student, even if their parents are upper middle class with a McMansion in the suburbs, cannot possibly qualify for a scholarship like everyone else, and has to have one tailored for their race or ethnicity only.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:27 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I am with NP. Very well put. This is WRONG and these types of things are what are causing the racism you now see in America!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 5:29 PM on Mar. 11, 2009