HOw much would you be willing to give

If you asked someone to make you a custom 3 tier cake and about 20 cupcakes? and you were picky about the theme and disign

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:23 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Money & Work

• Since I am picky I would be willing to spend $200, I'm cheap as well! LOL
    VasquezFamily

Answer by VasquezFamily at 5:26 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• IDK Is it for a wedding? Is it a professional making the cake or is it a family members hobby? We paid 3.50 per person for my wedding it was about $400 and it wasn't large by any means but a few tiers. If a friend is making it I would think a min. of $100 its time consuming and takes alot of ingredients and they wouldn't be making hardy anything for their work.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:27 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• No its not a friend or a pro. She posted something on craiglist saying she needed it done and i love making cakes, so i thought i could earn some extra income helping her.
    I just dont know what to charge after i make up the cost of making the cake. i dont know her at all though if thats what your asking.
    No its not a wedding its a b-day party
    Anonymous

• How big are the tiers? I charge $10 for a 6 inch, $15 for an 8 inch, $20 for a 10 inch and $30 for a 12 inch if they are not wedding tiers. Cupcakes, I'd do $10 for the 20 cupcakes. For extra picky people that want extra decorating and special techniques, I'd add $5 for each tier and to the cupcakes. Be sure to get a deposit, enough to at least cover your cost of materials in case they decide to back out. Then you'll have covered the costs AND you can eat the cake too!
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 5:54 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• How long will it take you to make it and how much do you want to pay yourself per hour? Add that amount to the amount of your supplies. If this were a friend, I would charge them that amount. If this were for a customer or client, the usual "retail" mark-up for goods is 3 times the amount you spend on supplies+labor.

When you're not a professional baker and are not getting supplies and ingredients wholesale and in bulk (and your subjected to whatever price the grocery store has at the time), it is difficult to charge just a flat fee for something (like $10 per tier which I think is REALLY inexpensive). Especially without knowing how many guests you need to feed (how big are these tiers? How much ingredients are needed?). Especially with pickiness, you may lose money and waste supplies doing things over.

My wedding cake was designed to feed 200. I paid over $500 for it and it was plain and I was not picky lol.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 6:18 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I just dont know what to charge after i make up the cost of making the cake. i dont know her at all though if thats what your asking.
    No its not a wedding its a b-day party
    ---------------
    Oops, I read this after I posted.

Your hourly rate (for labor) + supplies=_______ (then multiply that amount by three). Leave room for pickiness because you may lose money re-doing things. If you think it is too much and she won't go for it, you can always subtract from the number you get until you are comfortable with it. Start out on the higher end of your comfort zone with your offer because she may try to bargain you down. (For example, if you offer to do it for $300, she may only bargain you down to $250. If you start out offering to do it for $250, she may try to bargain you down to $150 so on and so forth).
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 6:23 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• When you're not a professional baker and are not getting supplies and ingredients wholesale and in bulk (and your subjected to whatever price the grocery store has at the time), it is difficult to charge just a flat fee for something (like $10 per tier which I think is REALLY inexpensive). Especially without knowing how many guests you need to feed (how big are these tiers? How much ingredients are needed?). Especially with pickiness, you may lose money and waste supplies doing things over.

My costs for making and decorating a 10 inch tier are less than $5. 2 cake mixes $2, 1 bag icing sugar $1.25, 1 stick margarine $.30 or less, 3 eggs $.30, water free, 1/2 cup shortening $.20 or less, 1/2 c. milk $.25 or less......I just multiply that by 3 and that is for my labor. I also only charge $1.50 to $1.75 per serving on wedding cakes plus supplies. I'm not out to rip people off, but I do want to make some money too.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 7:26 PM on Mar. 11, 2009