Hypothetical question.

If you turned your infant or small toddler out loose to run every day, just booted them out the door to do as they pleased, would you be shocked if they got hit by a car? Or stolen? Or if they never came home and you couldn't find out what happened to them? Would you expect nothing but the utmost sympathy from others and be appalled if anyone suggested that any of the above situations happening to your infant or small toddler was in anyway your fault?

aurorabunny

Asked by aurorabunny at 5:24 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well, I would feel hurt if people weren't sympathetic to me and my missing children, that's just insensitive. But I would also be kicking myself for letting them play outside alone. In the world today it is not safe, and I wouldn't let them be out alone.
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 5:27 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• No I don't mean like letting them play in your backyard in the fence....I mean like pushing them out the front door and then going back inside and not paying any attention to them what so ever.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 5:29 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I would never do that. If you are a bad parent then you should not be upset if they get hurt!
    Rebeccalynn_dj

Answer by Rebeccalynn_dj at 5:33 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I can't even think of that without my stomach turning! I'd be consumed with way too much guilt to be worried about getting sympathy. That's a bit too much heartless drama.
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 5:34 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• wow um i think anyone thinking that way is totally SELFISH not only would they be wanting time away from their kids and pushing them outside (being selfish then) and then wanting people to feel bad for them (being selfish) if it was me fist off id never push them out the door EVEN if my yard was fenced but in the event that something happened to my child id rather the focus be on where the child was or what happened rather then people feeling bad for ME id rather they be thinking of the child
    i dont even like the idea of a 5 year old playing alone in a fenced yard :P
    Riosmommy

Answer by Riosmommy at 5:36 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Wow...Well I would never forgive myself..I do not, or have I ever done that. I suspect that people who put their kids in harms way would think it was everyone else's fault.....
    ChrisandLiz

Answer by ChrisandLiz at 5:53 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I agree completely with the above poster.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 5:55 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• IF I shoved my kids outside alone and something happened to them I would fully expect to be imprisoned for neglect and whilst there would find some painful method of suicide... no less than i would deserve...but maybe I'm being hard on my theoretical self... HA
    - but having said that the mentality of the mother who would do that would probably be that "the whole world is against her and she has so much bad luck and how horrible that she has to deal with a lost child and I think I'll write a book about my loss in order to capitalize on it...and perhaps I'll get pregnant again now... sobbing the whole time about how every one is soooo horrible to me for talking smack"
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 6:38 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• this isnt about kids its about dogs. no, you shouldnt let your dogs run lose & get hit by cars.
    Anonymous

• Well whoever you are anonymous, you obviously know me. LOL.

I was asking this in actuality about animals. I was curious to see what people would say when the question was asked about a child. Obviously our children come first before our pets however in some ways they are very much alike; our animals are just as helpless and it is our responsibility to take good care of them. I'm just tired of every single time I click on journals or answers I see a post from someone who did this with their dog or cat and expect everyone to feel all sorry for them like they had nothing to do with it. And if you even mention that it is their fault you're an insensitive ass.

I was going to try to get some more opinions before explaining why I asked but apparently anonymous wasn't okay with that. :)
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 6:43 PM on Mar. 11, 2009