My 21 mo DD won't have milk in her sippy cup

I just started to take the bottle away from her and its going ok, but she won't drink milk in a sippy cup. She will drink water or juice in a sippy cup. I'm concerned that she isn't getting enough milk. We haven't gotten rid of the night bottle yet, so she has maybe 6 oz a day. I even tried sugar free chocolate syrup and she still won't.

Please don't judge that she still has a bottle, she is a little behind b/c of a month hospital stay when she was 10 months.

mamahildman3

Asked by mamahildman3 at 5:27 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What they say above and in the mean time give yogurt a couple times a day and cook with milk so she is getting it in other ways. I make oatmeal for my sons breakfast and I use 2/3 cup (4oz) of milk to cook it and add probably another 4 oz to it to cool it down and thin it out. That's 8 oz. in one sitting. My son won't drink milk at all of any form or kind so I have to get tricky with how and what I use it in. You could also make a fruit smoothie w/ both milk and yogurt, I bet she'll love that!
    KadensMom907

Answer by KadensMom907 at 6:34 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• It is fine for her to go without milk for a few days while you force it . You'll have to show her that if she wants milk it will be in a cup only. Maybe giver her a special cup that you only use for milk...
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 5:33 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Honestly I would take the bottle completely away(dont throw it, I'll tell you why) so all day you just keep putting milk in the sippy cup and she'll get thristy and drink it. It sounds dumb like "oh what if she doesn't drink it" she will. She will get thirsty, do this for about a week and she should be use to drinking milk out of it and she wont want the bottle any more. The reason I say keep the bottle is if she really goes the whole day without drinking then at night give her the bottle with milk. I mean she does have to drink something and get her daily supply of milk, I'm not saying go cold turkey that would be child neglect in my eyes. But Don't let her see the bottle at all during the day and if she does drink milk out of the sippy then right at that moment throw the bottle away so it will never be in the house again.
    VasquezFamily

Answer by VasquezFamily at 5:33 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Mine DD is 22 months old and she refused milk in her sippy too. She will drink out of a regular glass as long as I hold it for her so that is what I am doing to get her daily milk requirements in. Don't worry about that bottle either, dear; you are the Mama.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 5:35 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Don't let her have anything but milk. She'll eventually get thirsty and drink.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 6:24 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Oh, and who can judge you for it, at least you are trying to take the bottle away. That's all you can do and eventually she will want to drink from the sippy cup alone. Hang in there and try not to let it stress you out. :)
    KadensMom907

Answer by KadensMom907 at 6:37 PM on Mar. 11, 2009