When is the right time to potty train your child?

CLSleepyMom

Asked by CLSleepyMom at 5:38 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• its different for each child. I tried to start my daughter at 18 months but she wasnt interested until she was 2 1/2. Then she just kind of picked it up on her own.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 5:40 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I think it differs for every kiddo. It is more important to be aware of the signs that your child is ready to potty train. If they are interested in the potty, able to tell you when they need to be changed, and on a consistent schedule - chances are you can try training. If they aren't ready, stop and wait a few more weeks, then try again.
    rebabeach2

Answer by rebabeach2 at 5:59 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Yep. Each kid is different.
    The more signs a child shows, the faster and easier things will go.
    The fewer signs, the slower and more frustrating.
    The biggest mistake is to expect a child to tell you when he has to go. Most will for the first month or so then they stop. That's normal. Just keep taking him on a set schedule until he starts taking HIMSELF without even asking you.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:57 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• For my boys, it was three years. Well, so far. My youngest is 2 and is fighting things tooth and nail so far. We'll see what happens in November when he turns 3. lol
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:15 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Research and global trends indicate that children (both boys and girls) should be ready to participate in potty training at around 18 months. By the time children (both boys and girls) are 12 months old, reflex sphincter control can be elicited and the myelination of the neurons necessary to ready the body to control the bowels and bladder is completed. This myelin acts as an insulator (kind of like wrapping electrical tape around a live wire), and makes the neuron send the message more quickly. This keeps it from getting confused with impulses from neighboring neurons. What does this mean? The child is now able to feel the impulse to control her bodily functions and needs to learn to execute that control.
    Remember that in the 1950s studies indicate that 92% of children(both boys and girls) were potty trained by 18 months. Parenting has changed in the past 50-60 years, but children’s developmental capabilities have not.

Zinglady

Answer by Zinglady at 8:00 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Deff. when YOUR child is ready. A lot of parents try forcing their child and you can't do that because it can accually delay the process. I am not saying you can't encourage it because that is great but if your child is not ready then they are not ready. I started seeing signs when my daughter was 2 so that's when I started encouraging it more
    luv4adrianna

Answer by luv4adrianna at 11:01 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Signs of readiness to look for: Do they ever wake up from the nap or overnight sleep with dry diapers? Do they let you know when they are wet or soiled?
    Do they sometimes sit on the potty while waiting for their bath? Also important is, Do you have the time and are you committed to training right now? Once you start you need to stay consistent and positive about the whole process. You need a couple of weeks at least to really work on it. Lastly, do not even start with pull-ups! If you get to the place where they are really having lots of success and are taking themselves to the potty some of the time, then go to regular underwear.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 1:48 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• There is no right or wrong time to do it. When your child is ready (which is different for every kid) and starts showing the signs then start trying.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:06 AM on Mar. 12, 2009