my 2 week old son only goes 1 1/2 to 2 hours between bottles

Is this normal for his age. . He's only drinking 2 ounce bottles when i give them to him. . He wont drink more than that and i cant get him to go longer between because he screams and screams when he gets hungry. . It just seems like he should be going longer between and eating more.

mandar

Asked by mandar at 5:51 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At that age it can be pretty normal. You could try just letting him scream for a bit and then see if he will eat more so he is fuller. but I would just feed him as he needs and wants it.
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 5:52 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• each baby is diffrent, yes it is normal, he may level out as he gets alittle bit older
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:53 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• My pediatrician told me that a way to guage how much your baby should be drinking is to base it loosely on his age: I.E. My three 1/2 month old drinks about 3 1/2-4 oz bottles...she is sustauned fr four to five hours on this.

When she was a month she was drinking about an oz and a half each time and would only sleep a couple of hours or three at most. It'll get longer...just give it some time. His belly is still very small so he's unable to take a lot at once, which is why he's hungry so often. ^_^
    Anjeey

Answer by Anjeey at 6:14 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• My dd is 2 wks too, she eats about the same amount, sometimes if she sleeps a little longer she'll have more than 2 oz. But I only get her to sleep longer if I'm holding her, if she's in her crib/ playpen... I'm lucky t0 get 1 hr.

Here's to hoping our kiddos grow so they sleep longer and we can get some rest. Good luck!
    lilmommy0416

Answer by lilmommy0416 at 6:34 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• A good guideline that was told to me. A baby's stomach is about the size of THEIR fist.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 6:50 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• The general guideline I've heard is 2.5oz per pound per day

Example..2.5oz x 10lbs = 25oz per day.

Mine never worked that way. Mine always ate every 2-3 hours and by the time they were 6 weeks, they were taking 8oz per feeding (still every 2-3 hours, too..during the day, that is)

Just feed him when he's hungry and don't stress about it. He knows when he's hungry, when he's full, when he's tired, when he's wet, etc, much better than anyone else....including you. lol
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:01 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• At 2 weeks old I can't believe you are concerned about him being satisfied....hes 2 weeks old. Of course he's hungry. Dont let him scream and then try to fill him up. That's only convenient for you. He needs to eat when HE"S hungry. He's waaaay tooo little to be worrying about that yet. they have tiny tummys and very weak digestive systems....you fill him up then you're running the risk of him puking because he's too full....
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:25 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Sounds like your baby isn't being fulfilled on the milk he/she is on. Not unusual! You should try the baby on goats milk...full goats milk, it has helped many a baby for various reasons. It's also healthier and has more vitamins and selenium,lower cholestrol, and is lactose free!! Just try it!! goatlady49
    Goatlady49

Answer by Goatlady49 at 1:16 AM on Mar. 12, 2009