Should I go to my SO church even though it bores me to death and I get almost nothing from it?

My SO and I have been together for 12 years. We have 2 kids ages 7 and 5 months. I have gone to his families church numerous times, each time in an attempt to find some direction in the catholic religion. About 2 monts ago I started going to a christian church where i live. His is 20 miles away. i have nothing againt Catholocism and have given it an honest try. This church has no sunday school, no community groups or any other organized activities or even a place for me to learn the catholic religion. My SO is upset because he goes to church with me but i dont want to go to his because.I feel at home where i am going and feel like I am actually getting something out of it.He is devout only in his words but not in his actions. Im the one who has been making sure we get to church every sunday. His is a church where the mass is said in latin. Iwant to establish my own thing for my family. His family follows his parents blindly.

JunoDolly

Asked by JunoDolly at 5:53 PM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• my personal opion is you shouldn't start a relationship where the beliefs are different. But tha'ts a little past here. If he is willing to go to yours you should be willing to go to his and make the best of it.
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 5:55 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• You both need to sit down together and make up a compromise that you're both comfortable with. There's nothing wrong with raising your children in both churches. But since you both have your separate churches that you both enjoy, you both need to compromise to meet in the middle.
    Lego

Answer by Lego at 6:00 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I can compromise with him. But if i dont remind him and wake him up to go we wont end up going to church at all and he wont make the effort to go . So is it wrong to think that if he wants to go to his church then he should get up and make and effort to get the kids ready etc..,? The only reason why we go to church EVER is because I push it whether it is mine or his.
    JunoDolly

Answer by JunoDolly at 6:08 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Building a relationship with God and Christ is whats important. Read the bible and do studies. To many people sit in church as a way of life. Those people only seem to know of God. God wants you to know him...not know of him. Read his biography and understand it.. The Bible. You can sit in a garage all day but it won't make you car.
    Anonymous

• When it comes to having a relationship with our creator, it only matters what's in your heart. Do not go where you are not growing spiritually or where you're not comfortable.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 6:52 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• So you each go to your own church and let the kids choose where they prefer to go. It doesn't have to be this hard. No you shouldn't go where you don't feel spiritually lifted. Going out of obligation will only lead to resentment. Be honest and tell him it's not your thing and that you are bored when you go. Please remember the three C's to a relationship Communication Consideration and Compromise. Both of you need to use them, and I mean that in a polite way not a mean condescending way. It's hard to figure tone on written word.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:19 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• No. You should worship and believe what/how you want to, or else it makes the gesture kind of...false.
    Anonymous